Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    'Fulfilled en masse'? Not hardly I'm backer #20 for a basic Rezza kit and have seen nothing. The last two updates indicated only a few kits had gone out and that shipments had been halted in early July and would resume next week. (this information from a post by the Creator in the comments section yesterday-and a update, also yesterday)

Still, nice to hear you are happy with the kit, is the focusing helical smooth? That is my main concern since the one on my Travelwide never worked right. My Travelwide is just a 65mm pinhole now, I gave up on the helical.

For a long time now I've been reading about some owner users of the Travelwide, that have had problems with the action of the helicoil being tight or freezing up. I don't recall any complaints on coils being too loose. None the less I"m thankful there haven't been any problems with my camera or it's helicoil. Not sure why. I "invested" in the Travelwide around number 700 and received my camera over two years later. I believe I was in the second round of camera mailouts. There were several production problems along the way with plastic shrinkage and swelling. Or it could be the environment I Live in -Phoenix valley of the sun & low humidity, AZ. The camera did make two trips to the beach at Porto Penasco, and it was a pleasure to tote about. I also took it along on two trips to El Capitan Pass Globe, AZ, alt 5000ft. The camera performed equally well in both environments. The only problem - it's so light the wind can impact it if you're shooting landscapes.

Unfortunately, I'm having serious health issues that will probhibit any future outings. So I'm selling my travelwide as equiped. It will be posted on ebay soon, but I realize some LF members might want 1st dibbs at it. If interested and you want more info or pics email me at scpitchford@gmail.com.

Happy trails, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pitchford View Post
    For a long time now I've been reading about some owner users of the Travelwide, that have had problems with the action of the helicoil being tight or freezing up. I don't recall any complaints on coils being too loose. None the less I"m thankful there haven't been any problems with my camera or it's helicoil. Not sure why. I "invested" in the Travelwide around number 700 and received my camera over two years later. I believe I was in the second round of camera mailouts. There were several production problems along the way with plastic shrinkage and swelling. Or it could be the environment I Live in -Phoenix valley of the sun & low humidity, AZ. The camera did make two trips to the beach at Porto Penasco, and it was a pleasure to tote about. I also took it along on two trips to El Capitan Pass Globe, AZ, alt 5000ft. The camera performed equally well in both environments. The only problem - it's so light the wind can impact it if you're shooting landscapes.

Unfortunately, I'm having serious health issues that will probhibit any future outings. So I'm selling my travelwide as equiped. It will be posted on ebay soon, but I realize some LF members might want 1st dibbs at it. If interested and you want more info or pics email me at scpitchford@gmail.com.

Happy trails, Steve
    Sorry to hear about the health problems Steve.

I agree; my Travelwide helicoil has never presented a problem but I also live in a desert environment (though a bit further north.) I am not sure why that would make a difference but I guess it could.

I love this camera and am using it frequently. I shoot 6x9 medium format with a roll film back as often as I shoot 4x5, sometimes both on the same outing. The focus is extremely accurate and I am more than happy with having supported this project.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Can somebody do me a favor and measure how far the helicoil of the Travelwide travels / extends? Much appreciated.

Hm, not sure anyone still uses one of these, but I would like to put some sheets trough mine - never used it since I got it. I was wondering if you guys have somehow calibrated the focus on yours. I am using mine with a 90mm 6.8 Angulon and was actually planning on using it as a P&S with the sports viewfinder and a AGFA rangefinder on one of the hot shoes. Would that work out of the box ? Asking since I saw that the helical can go past the infinity mark. Just went with the 6x6 TLR out for a weekend stroll and was thinking to do the same with the TW.

Regards, Stefan

Small town, South Carolina, US

Stefan, I have calibrated mine. I don't have it in front of me at present so am going by memory. These are essentially the the instructions that came with the camera.

Mount the lens on the camera. Open the aperture of the lens to the maximum and focus on a distant subject (1/2 K would be ok) using the plastic "groundglass" supplied with the camera.
    Then remove the rubber ring that is on the helicoil and reposition it so that the pointer on the rubber ring is at the infinity mark on the camera body.
    The distance scale on the camera body is designed for the 90mm 6.8 Angulon.
    That is all.

the 'hot' shoe is actually called a cold shoe as it has no electrical contacts

I made a better GG with hobby sticks and a DIY GG

mine is close at hand

if the ring doesn not turn easily stop and do not force it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    the 'hot' shoe is actually called a cold shoe as it has no electrical contacts
    True,it's a cold one
    I'll mount it on the tripod and try to see where I land with the plastic stuff it came with, as I don' plan to use it other than for P&S with big film , otherwise I might be tempted to fit a real back onto it. Still, right now the plan is to use it as it is ( since the investment into the "serious" camera - a Horseman L 4x5/5x7 system has already eaten up some of the budget I had in mind )

Regards, Stefan

Small town, South Carolina, US

If the focus is stiff, put the camera in a sealed plastic bag with desiccant for a few days. That should help a lot.

I have my 'focus' set at 5 feet and never change it

shooting only hand held with a flashbulb

it's your ball and your game
    Tin Can

Yes, I read about the problems that high humidity are causing to the materials used and what Ben proposed - either forced drying or dehumidifying. My cam was in the play room of our son, where it is pretty dry normally, so the helical seems to work just fine - don't know how this will be once I get out of the house, but I read that one has to treat the TW gentle