Thread: When to take their money? Tintype frames?

When to take their money? Tintype frames?

Things are progressing well toward doing a "Tintype Parlor" at the major event at a local museum - 10,000 to 15,000 people over 4 days!

I'm just finishing off a portable darkroom (dark box), negotiations are under way with the museum board of directors (for space, electricity, and water), my Rockaloid chemicals arrived Friday, and I am trying to get the bugs (specks) out of my plate-painting process.

I have sort of figured out the logistics of handling "customer registrations" and keeping customers matched with their tintype.

Two issue remain to be resolved:

#1 - when to collect the money, and

#2 - where to find 4x5 "frames" with an oval mat and a folding cover

#1 - I am inclined to collect the money up front (I must be part Scottish!), but:

a) I am not thrilled about having to keep the money, give change, and worry about the security of the money while I am trying to take photos and process plates

b) Tintype (so far) seems less predictable than flim photography and I would HATE to have to give refunds (Scottish again!). If a shot doesn't turn out, there's no negative to try another print.

BUT

c) I sure don't want to get stuck with plates that aren't paid for and the customer never came back to claim them.

(The average visitor is from "away" and likely unknown to any of the locals. It would be easy to "forget" to pick up and pay for your tintype. Of the 10,000 to 15,000 visitors, I expect a number to be less than trustworthy as well!)

#2 - I have searched all over the Net and haven't yet found a nice "old-timey" tintype folding holder for 4x5. Anybody seen these for sale lately? (I really DON'T want to get into making frames as well!)

Thanks crew!!!

I would definitely collect the money up front, keeping a control list of the people's names and a check mark that they have paid. Or, use an inexpensive receipt pad that produces a copy receipt they get.

If I recall correctly, this is somewhat of a benefit effort for the organization hosting the event. If so, how about enlisting their help with collecting and/or holding the cash. They may also already be prepared to deal with the logistics of giving change, or even accepting credit cards. If they are getting some portion of the proceeds, they should be more than happy to help with the logistics.

I haven't looked for inexpensive folding print holders in a long time. As I recall, however, the dealers that cater to budget portrait and wedding shooters used to have a pretty good selection. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can come up with a link for you.

As to the tintype reliability issue, the only thought I'd have would be to consider shooting two at the original sitting. That would give you a backup, but would also double your materials expense. Choices, choices. Do you just put one bullet in the Peacemaker, or load all of the chambers, making it heavier and slower to draw? ;-)

wfwhitaker

Dear Calamitous,

Re: #1 - when to collect the money....

As soon as possible.

why not hire an assistant to do your dirty work? or have the sponsoring organization donate an intern to you for a day?

Here's a link to some photo holders. Michel Company in Illinois. I get my wedding albums from them.
    http://www.michelcompany.com/Photomounts-Folders-Easels/studio_quality_folders/cal_folders.html
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Hello Jane,

Like the other replies, I would take the money up-front. Make the prices rounded-up to save having to carry too much coinage.

Have you seen this site: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forums/collodion/wetplate.html it is the forum for the civil war re-enactors wetplate collodion artists. They seem to take their pics at gatherings, so they might have some good info. As wetplates have to be developed at the time you get instant feedback - if the image isn't satisfactory, they just wipe the coating off and start again.

The suggestion to enrol (or press-gang!) an assistant sounds good, at least until you get comfortable with things. Good luck!

Thanks Matthew. Michaels doesn't sell to Canada but that led me to the manufacturer and the manufacturer referred me to Canadian distributors.

Thanks Neil. I visit cwreenactors often and have gleaned much info from them.

I'm glad I am not the only one who's inclination is to "get yer hands on the money as soon as possible"! ;-)

"Helpers" can be in short supply when the show is in full swing - EVERYBODY want's 'em - but maybe I can set a bear trap on the pathway and catch some unsuspecting soul ::evil grin::

Calmity,

It's very common for any custom product to get a deposit upfront. It should be enough to at least cover your matrials in case they don't pick up the final print. Nothing wrong with that and if anyone doesn't like the idea, you probably wouldn't want them as a customer anyway!

BTW: I found nice folders with an oval viewing window for 4x5" made by Taprell Loomis that will look good for tintypes and sell for $65.00/100 in Canada.

Taprell Loomis http://www.tap-usa.com/ has a really nice range of photo mounts and are distributed in Canada by Technicare Inc http://www.technicare.com/

Ya'll talked me into it - money up front.