Thread: Spot meter

Spot meter

Can anyone tell me why the demand for the Pentax Digital Spot meter is so high ? Its been on the market for over 10 years and there is nothing new about its tec hnology, but its price tag is way up there. Why ?

Thank You, Robert

Spot meter

First law of the universe: EVERYTHING is supply and demand. Plus, it's a damn good meter (buy through Calumet and get the Zone-VI modified version. Superb!!!).

Spot meter

I considered the Pentax Spot meter, but decided to go with the Sekonic L-778. I'm happy with the decision.

Spot meter

Working pros often prefer simple, rugged equipment to advanced technology.

The Pentax meters offer a few features not found on some newer spotmeters. First, the exposure value is displayed in the finder, enabling the user to quickly scan the scene to evaluate contrast. Second, the analog exposure calculator shows all applicable time/aperture combinations at a single glance; it's also convenient for Zone System use and applying filter, reciprocity, and bellows corrections.

Spot meter

I supsect there are many light meters that fill the bill and do a great job. The reason I bought the meter (digital one) is because Ansel Adams gave it good reviews in his book "The Negative", and that alone may be driving demand. In particular, I bought the Modified Zone VI version which comes with a Zone scale on it making Zone exposures trivial. I also like the red light digital display in the view finder which is easy to read when there is glare. It is small, light, fast, simple, and very rugged.