Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question about X-sync

A Question about X-sync

Morning/Afternoon/Evening wherever you might be!

1. Can anyone recommend a good lens+shutter setup for a reasonable price with x-sync available?

2. I currently have a Carl Zeiss Jenna/Tessar 135 4.5 lens in a f.deckel-munchen compurshutter. Can I purchase a shutter with x-sync and put the Zeiss lens into it as an alternative way to get what I'm after?

All help appreciated!

Re: A Question about X-sync

it might fit into one of those Polaroid copal or compur shutters

If it is in a shutter that old it probably will not fit into a modern shutter without some machining costs.

Better to just look for a more current lens in a more current shutter. That would probably cheaper then paying for custom machining on the old lens.

I'll try for that option instead then.
    Off the top of your head, can you think of any lenses to use with my speed graphic that are commonly had on the big auction site that won't break the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by VulpesVulpesVulpes View Post
    I'll try for that option instead then.
    Off the top of your head, can you think of any lenses to use with my speed graphic that are commonly had on the big auction site that won't break the bank?
    No recent used 135 will break the bank. Unless you have a very small account I your bank. Why not just state how much you want to pay, at the maximum?

Ideally, I was hoping to spend under £100 if that's at all feasible? I'll have a look through the 135's and see what I can find

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If it is in a shutter that old it probably will not fit into a modern shutter without some machining costs.
    I'm not sure that's true. The Zeiss Jenna Tessar 135mm 4.5 is quite common and Zeiss incorporated f.deckel-munchen, eventually using just the Compur name.

OP, unscrew the front and rear elements and measure their diameters. We can then begin to consider a more recent X synch shutter that will fit.

Another approach is to use a mechanical external synchronizer such as this. It screws into the cable release and can be adjusted to X - if you are patient. I have one and it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. The Zeiss Jenna Tessar 135mm 4.5 is quite common and Zeiss incorporated f.deckel-munchen, eventually using just the Compur name.

OP, unscrew the front and rear elements and measure their diameters. We can then begin to consider a more recent X synch shutter that will fit.
    And the thread pitch!

A Schneider Xenar 135mm f/4.7 in a shutter with X-sync should be easy to find for that much or less. In fact, I think I have one one my shelf that I don't need, if you are interested.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Rodenstock Geronar lenses and the Caltar labeled versions are dirt cheap. I've seen them go for less than $100 U.S. dollars. They don't have extreme coverage but are perfect on a Crown or Speed. I had a Caltar 210 and it would even fold up inside of my Crown Graphic.