Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 in Pinhole Camera?

4x5, 5x7, 8x10 in Pinhole Camera?

Hello...

Thank you all for the information... I've been doing a lot of research on this subject matter since I posted my questions. IMHO, using a pinhole camera seems to be akin to the concept of "Slow Foods," which you may or may not have heard about. My purpose in going to a large format V/C back a few years ago was to slow down the pace of my hectic life. Hence, I've also started using fountainpens again!

Brian... thank you for the V/C reference. I'll dig up that issue and read it.

Enrico... I am excited about giving Pinhole photography a go!

Ted... thanks for the examples. Very nice.

The artist I went to see the other evening is a photographer by the name of Diane Bos. She's known for the Gargoyle image used by UPS in Europe. I was taken aback by just how much depth of field can be had by these traditional cameras. Not only that... but there's just something about viewing her images that evoked a different feeling than that gleaned by viewing other formats. I'm not sure what that is but it could be due to the softness of the image? Interesting stuff.

If you're interested... check out: www.kostiukgallery.com

That's where the show was.

Again... thank you for the great info.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I forgot to mention in my previous post, "Pinhole Photography" by Eric Renner is an excellent resource. I think it's now in it's 3rd edition, published by Focal Press.

The book provides an excellent background in pinhole photography, an explanation of the technical issues, and a survey of pinhole photography from the first camera obscura to modern pinhole artists.

One other detail: the reason that I like Portra 160 for pinhole is that I shoot landscape and the blue of the sky shifts to a really nice deep blue/purple with portra exposures over about 2 minutes and the greens become super-saturated.

I'd also recommend that you take a look at the pinhole day website. http://www.pinholeday.org

Last year I made a couple friends and received an invitation to a juried show just by posting. Lots of really great stuff in the galleries.

-T

Marie,

Thanks... I'll try and put together a pinhole before the Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day but, alas, I've never been all that talented with constructing things. But, I'll give it a try.

I have a bit of a funny personality in that I like to understand what I'm doing before I proceed. This means I'll be ordering a few books to read before I move ahead and try to build one of these cameras. However, I'm already in the thought process and have just won a wooden 4x5 back (from a Burke & James View Camera) to hold sheet film in. So, now, I need to figure out how I'm going to mount it to "the camera" I'll be constructing. Then, I'll need to figure out how far I should be placing the sheet film from the front of the camera. I've already ordered the "pinhole openings" from Calumet. I understand that the smaller the pinhole... the sharper will be the image. And, of course, the closer the film is to the pinhole... the wider the image. So, I'm on my way.

Ted,

Those are some wonderful images you've made...very inspiring!

Do you use photographic paper in your camera? Or, do you use sheet film?

Oren,

Thanks for the links...

So much to learn, so little time!

Cheers all, and once again... thank you for all the great advice.
    Life in the fast lane!

I'm forever robbing shutters out of old Polaroid Oscilloscope cameras. That leaves the 3.25 X 4.25 Polaroid packfilm holder and usually the remains of the camera sticking 3 1/2 inches in front. All you have to do is make a black matboard cover and a place to tape a foil pinhole on. 3X4 is a great pinhole size and it's instant (as instant as possible with a pin hole) gratification with the polaroid 108 or 667 films. If I use 665 I have a positive to look at and a negative that can go in the enlarger. Here's a couple of pics done that way. I enlarged the Tonopah Nev. Coke bottle bottom to 10X12 on 11X14 paper.

Thanks for the kind words...

All of the Black & White pinholes on my website were taken with Ilford Delta 100 sheet film. The color shots on the Zero Image gallery page are Kodak Portra VC 160 negative film.

Jim brings up a good point in that getting a 3.25x4.25 polaroid back is a great way to learn the process. The pack film is relatively cheap compared to burning-off and developing 4x5 sheet film or paper.

Also, rubber bands are excellent for attaching sheet film holders to improvised camera backs. You're not trying to keep a film plane aligned with a ground glass, so you don't need to create an elaborate mechanism to hold the holders in place.

-T

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Jon Grepstad is also a good resource. I'm enamored with his collapsible 20x24 box pinhole camera.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pinhole/pinhole

Greetings....

Jim... that's a great idea. I do have a polaroid back for my 4x5 already. As for using shutters out of old Polaroid Oscilloscope cameras... I'll have to do some research into that.

Ted... thank you for the details. It's always useful to have a reference point from which to work with.

Donald... a collapsible 20x24 pinhole camera! That WOULD be something to see! At least, he wouldn't have much of an issue going through an airport with his camera. Can you imagine trying to do that with an Wisner?

So, it look like like there are LF shooters who are also pinhole camera users. It's interesting because of the divergence in technology (or, in general, the lack thereof in the case of the pinhole camera.)

Thanks again

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!