Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: filter holder/system for wide angle/90mm lens on 4x5

filter holder/system for wide angle/90mm lens on 4x5

Hi Guys! My first post!

Looking to buy my first 4x5 soon (probably will be a Toyo 45a), and have mostly figured it all out apart from which filter system I can use.
    I'll be using some sort of 90mm lens, so presumably screw-in filters will risk vignetting?
    I'll need to use and ND and an orange/red simultaneously, so will some sort of square filter system be the best to look at?
    Hitech make this system, which looks like the right sort of thing - anyone used it?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I did do a search for it and came up with nothing specific.

Thanks!

Alex

Re: filter holder/system for wide angle/90mm lens on 4x5

Before you decide see first if you will want a center filter to control the fall-off. If so then you will need a larger filter holder to clear the CF.

Eric Woodbury

Screw-in filters shouldn't vignette if you stop down just a little. I use 4x4 gels (polyester) in cardboard frames and hold them by hand or with that holder that uses a rubber band (Lee Gel Snap). Some folks tape gels to the rear of the lens inside the camera, thus preventing wind issues and sun glints.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Thanks for the replies!

Bob: I was worried someone would say that! I'm gonna get the largest aperture 90mm I can (4.5 if I'm correct?), so hopefully that should minimise fall off. I can deal with a little vignetting, and will be stopped down most or all of the time. On the other hand, I'll definitely be using the movements, so perhaps a CF will be needed. No doubt I'll have to decide before picking a filter system.

Eric: You might be right, and if I were to get screw-ins, they'd definitely be of the slim-ring variety. However, if I'm correct, a 4.5/90mm has a filter thread of 82mm, and most filters aren't made any larger (at the least ones I'd like to use), otherwise I'd get an adapter for a larger size. Would be good to hear from someone who has stacked a couple of rings on this type of lens.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldSpanner View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Bob: I was worried someone would say that! I'm gonna get the largest aperture 90mm I can (4.5 if I'm correct?), so hopefully that should minimise fall off. I can deal with a little vignetting, and will be stopped down most or all of the time. On the other hand, I'll definitely be using the movements, so perhaps a CF will be needed. No doubt I'll have to decide before picking a filter system.

Eric: You might be right, and if I were to get screw-ins, they'd definitely be of the slim-ring variety. However, if I'm correct, a 4.5/90mm has a filter thread of 82mm, and most filters aren't made any larger (at the least ones I'd like to use), otherwise I'd get an adapter for a larger size. Would be good to hear from someone who has stacked a couple of rings on this type of lens.
    The faster lens will still have about as much fall-off as the slower one. But since the faster lens covers a larger circle it may not be as noticeable, unless you use rise fall and move off the center of the circle.

You could also consider jerry-rigging something to fit on the rear of the lens..no flare/size problems,and very flexible on large format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    You could also consider jerry-rigging something to fit on the rear of the lens..no flare/size problems,and very flexible on large format.
    Only drawback is that rear mounted filters will degrade the image. This lens was made for front mount filters for optimal performance.

I use the Lee system (flexible compendium shade with 2 slots) for all of my lenses including the 90mm nikkor 4.5. Nikon didn't make a center filter for this lens.
    The gadget you linked to looks quite hokey, I'd avoid it. If you're not going to get a Lee, get a lee compatible holder off ebay.

FYI, on many occasions I've used a red filter, polarizer, AND a Lee holder w/ GND filter on my Nikkor 90mm f/8 with no vignetting - even has a bit of movement left, but not much.

Don't worry too much about that. And forget the f/4.5 unless you really need it, like if you are working indoors. The smaller Nikkor (and Schneider equivalent) use 67mm filters. Same-ish image circle.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If you decide to try filters on the rear of the lens then consider gels. Those won't cause focus shift nor image degradation.