Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Experience Using New55 Film?

Re: Experience Using New55 Film?

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Well I still think I will give it chance as I really love instant film
    I would certainly encourage you to give it a try! Please let us know how it works out for you.

I use it. There isn't anything wrong with it, it is just different.

Different from Polaroid Type 55 so the former users of that film are unhappy with it. I never used Polaroid Type 55 film so I have no reference to the old product.

Since it is a new product there have been some teething problems, both from a manufacturing point of view (it is far more difficult to manufacture an instant film then people seem to realize), and from a user point of view (it is not very forgiving of user variations, particularly from the developing perspective.)

It is also expensive, as has already been pointed out. I think a lot of people would be more accepting of the expense if the product were a bit easier to use.

So, it is not Polaroid Type 55, but a different product.

It is expensive, yet not very user friendly.

From my perspective it is still very much a beta product. Since the company is still having financial difficulties, the beta period is lasting much longer than some would expect.

This film also has a bit of a bipolar nature about it. One one hand it takes a bit of the Lomo attitude to not accept, but to anticipate the unexpected. )n the other hand it also takes a willingness to be VERY methodical in your habits, more so than is normal for most film, which is kind of the antithesis of Lomo.

When I go out I am prepared to not only get the positive print, but also to fix the negative. This means I have trays, fixer, water, and ways to hang the negative and positive. This means I am usually photographing right next to my van. Polaroid Type 55 was commonly used to establish an exposure that was close to what you saw in your minds eye that could then be applied to a sheet of large format film. So it was acceptable to the Ansel Adams of the world as well as studio photographers. As far as my experience has been, the newer NEW55 is not ready for that role yet.

Sometimes I like what I get, sometimes not so much, sometimes I just get a huge, gooey, mess that I have to clean up before I can continue. In other words it is usually unpredictable, but I actually like that. Not always of course, but if I am not in the mood for the unpredictability inherent with this film then I use negative (or positive) sheet film instead.

What I do like is I can tell pretty quickly if I have something useful. It is a bit like digital in that respect, I can cheat and chimp. Of course I have to wait a few minutes, but I do get an "instant" result.

So, this is a long winded way of saying, this film is not for everyone. In fact, it may not be for most people. It really kind of depends on your own expectations. If you expect it to act like Tri-X, or the former Type 55, then you will be disappointed. If you are willing to go out for a day of simple fun, and expect to be surprised, then you will probably enjoy it.

Just do not get frustrated when you get a gooey mess the first time you turn the lever to "P" and pull the film. Just expect that it will happen at some point during the day and have a tray of water with a toothbrush to clean up the parts of your film holder. Lay everything out in the sun to dry and take a break.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

AuditorOne that was a nice and honest piece about the new 55

Are people using outdated T55 with success? When I shot 4x5 chrome for a living and shot hundreds of Polaroid a week, the stuff went bad really fast. Pods would dry up before we finished a batch and we used to send caseloads back to Calumet. Buying old stuff on eBay or anywhere else seems like a total crapshoot.

-CB

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    AuditorOne that was a nice and honest piece about the new 55
    Thanks Peter.

In the early days I got really good at tearing down the 545 film holder, cleaning it, and then putting it back together.

Thankfully that part has gotten much better as they have improved their production processes.

When everything works, I actually like the look I get. I am sure I'm a little odd that way but the imperfections around the edges give this film a character I don't get with other types of film. It is unlike anything else I use. I can understand why people liked the old Type 55.

Dan

Auditor..the old 55 is gone. I used to go out in the middle of NYC and make negatives right there on the street; it was fun to say the least.
    the new55 facebook page has some interesting stories about photogs using the film. it is what it is and I'm going to try a few boxes. the company has been giving workshops around the northeast to show people how to properly use the film.
    as an aside I never had any problems with the polaroid backs. just glad they didn't have to make those too!!
    Is it really only only 5 sheets per box?? (the atomicX film is really nice too!)

I am still using original Polaroid 55 from 2009 with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Auditor..the old 55 is gone. I used to go out in the middle of NYC and make negatives right there on the street; it was fun to say the least.
    the new55 facebook page has some interesting stories about photogs using the film. it is what it is and I'm going to try a few boxes. the company has been giving workshops around the northeast to show people how to properly use the film.
    as an aside I never had any problems with the polaroid backs. just glad they didn't have to make those too!!
    Is it really only only 5 sheets per box?? (the atomicX film is really nice too!)
    Yes it really is only 5 sheets per box. Right now you can buy the Polaroid Type 55 on Ebay for less per sheet than it costs to pick up the New 55. I haven't bought any because I'm afraid it will be dried out, which I hear is pretty common.

I usually pack two boxes with me but I use it up pretty slowly while in the field. Five sheets can take me all morning to expose. I think that is because I stop and fix/wash each negative before I make another photograph. It is slow but I know that if I ever get into wet plate this will be good training.

I have been considering trying out their Atomic X and the Mono developer as well but haven't gone there yet. Most who have used the Atomic X film seem to like it.

Dan

AuditorOne,

Good, thoughtful summary.

Hello,

I have use this week outdated polaroid 55 B&W from 1986 with good results !!!