Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "View Camera Store" ... ? ...

"View Camera Store" ... ? ...

It may not be a store in the normal sense of the word, but you CAN visit them (Fred and asst., Dennis). Just call and set up an appointment. By the way, their "non store" would make everyone envious: separate from regular house, probably 1,500 to 2,000 sf. with office space, display area for goods for sale, dry work areas in the entry work area and a HUGE darkroom area - the whole area stocked with tons of computers and printers and equipment for making really big prints.

Here we go again. Fred Newman has been running his large format photo operation for more than a decade, long before "e-commerce" was another made up word and people assumed their connection errors meant someone was trying to rip them off.

And as thoughtful as Eugene is, Mike is correct. I'd kill to have Fred's separate operation, including teaching darkroom and computer/printing facilities. You are hard pressed to find anyone more helpful and giving of their time and money to large format that Fred, Dennis and of course, Phil Davis.

It only take a moment in an ill thought out and poorly monitored thread like this to destroy what these people have invested years of their lives and untold amounts of money to build. Just because you can post instantly doesn't mean you can stop thinking about the ramifications of what you are saying. Unlike the spoken word, posts do not evaporate on the breeze.

http://viewcamerastore.com/
    is the URL in my address bar.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

I think quite a few people here mis-understand the problem. The View Camera Store, *WHEN VIEWED IN OTHER LANGUAGES* says *ITSELF* that it is a demo site. Go to the store and click on on of the alternate languages. Even I can figure out what the spanish one says, but you can use babelfish if you like.

Try

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/default.php?language=es

and a google translation:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.viewcamerastore.com/default.php%3Flanguage%3Des&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.viewcamerastore.com/default.php%253Flanguage%253Des%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

or http://tinyurl.com/4zsn4

Paul:

Those of us who actually read the posts understand! Fred obviously customized the english version of the stock software and did not update or disable the foreign language support.

"Fred obviously customized the english version of the stock software and did not update or disable the foreign language support."

Thatīs obviously the problem and thatīs what made me think it is a demo-site of oscommerce, because i have allways seen the german version, never the english one.

Pfuuuh - quite a lot of confusion.

Thanks, all!

I second the kind remarks about how well Fred and Dennis treat customers, send items etc. Several years ago living in WNY State I ordered camera, lens and other needed items, They arrived so fast it was amazing. The helpfulness on the phone was superior to what I have received in what some refer to stores with many employee's.

Ilness has kept me from using the lf lately but I know I can count on them. I needed a lens mounted, sent it to them and it was back in no time.

If many of the big dealers had the atttitude torwards customers they have it would be a pleasure.

Oh, and Michael:

I have no "connection problems" and I did not assume someone is trying to rip off somebody!

So your pleadings are a bit embarassing and last but not least unnecessary...

I want to thank Rainer for pointing this out to us. The View Camera Store, as most of you know, is a REAL BUSINNESS and has been so for 11 years. Our online store uses the excellent Open Source osCommerce e-commerce package and while we've added extra security to protect credit card numbers, which are never stored on the server, we left alot of the graphics, etc. stock.

So what Rainer is seeing is the default boilerplate text for the German language option which we never thought to change. I'm sure that the Spanish language option says the same thing! Rainer is quite correct in assuming that we are only a DEMO even though we are REAL. Funny that we've filled dozens of orders from Germany with no one else mentioning it!

Thanks Rainer!

Dennis Kibbe
    The View Camera Store

Re: "View Camera Store" ... ? ...

My search resurrected this fairly old post, but it seems like the right place. I'm fairly new to LF and needed to order a few things and chose Fred Newman's site, The View Camera Store.

I couldn't have asked for better service. Fred will not retire on what I've ordered, or likely to order, but the service is first rate. Even after completion of transactions, I had something of a general question for Fred and he graciously answered very quickly, provided pictures for clarification and then went on to point out something I should look out for. You just can't beat that kind of personal service! Highly recommended.

Joel Edmondson

Re: "View Camera Store" ... ? ...

I couldn't agree more... I have purchased several items from Fred over the course of the last few years and always found him to be first-class in every respect! Wish I could say the same of ALL of the dealers.