Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LF a leisure class pursuit?

Is LF a leisure class pursuit?

This week, after a fun day of LF work in a nearby Nat'l Forest, I hiked back to my car at the trailhead.

Five minutes later, I was still loading-up for my journey home, when an older couple (maybe in their mid-60's) came off the trail and returned to their car, next to mine.

My wooden 4x5 camera (Tachi) and tripod (Ries) naturally inspired their curiosity, and they asked a few of the questions we've all heard before – except for one:

"Is this a leisure class pursuit?" the woman asked in a sincere, innocent tone.

(I suspect my older Honda Civic and their newer Mercedes meant the irony of her question didn't escape any of us. )

"If it is, it's the only one I can afford!" I replied, or something close to that. The friendly couple lived in Portland, they said, but enjoyed hiking and exploring the entire PNW region (as retirees, I suspect). They soon departed, well before I did, but their question about "leisure class pursuits" lingered in my mind, and occupied a part of my attention as I headed home.

It didn't take long for me to provide myself with a personal answer – a slightly more serious one than the one I offered above.

Now I'm curious about your view: Is LF photography mainly a pursuit of the so-called leisure class? (Or more provocatively: Is this who we are?)

Whether "Yes" or "No," does an answer depend on one's income, free time, photographic objectives, image format, or state of mind?

Re: Is LF a leisure class pursuit?

Not for me-it is an integral part of my income stream and more. This is how I view it. LF is about 30% of my income (architectural photo and teaching photo the rest), 75% of my business PR and 90% of my creative interest.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk (and a few others) are the exception here, as most of us are hobbyists rather than income-dependent on selling photographs.

I see this as two separate questions--is LF a leisure-class pursuit (your inquisitor's question) and is LF a leisure pursuit (i.e., a hobby).

Based on some years spent on this forum, I think there are both types here. Although the leisure-class (well-heeled) are more likely workaholics than landed gentry or trust fund babies (the ones I know, anyway). There are also poor students here.

So, I would say the answer is clearly no.

And, of course, the two are not mutually exclusive. I am hoping to be an early retiree soon with a LF addiction. As a first generation college grad who has lived paycheck to paycheck for nearly 40 years, I don't consider myself part of a leisure class, though I will certainly have more time for leisure after I retire.

I have several income streams, one of which involves photography (print sales and workshops).

But primarily my photography is an artistic pursuit.

I have a day and a half left of "work" left before I retire after 24 years working for the university (halftime position)...and a prior 12 years with the US Forestry Service (fulltime seasonal). My three boys are 18 and off to college, etc. The house is paid for (doing foundation work right now...then a darkroom!). No pets, divorced. A bar next door and a brewery/taproom five minutes walk away.

So lots of leisure ahead -- and I'll do it with as much class as I can muster.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Too bad you couldn't rewind the entire scenario and instead of your LF on the tripod you had a modern digital camera, one of the higher end ones, and see if you got a similar question: "is digital a leisure class pursuit?" I throw this out because one can get into LF photography for at least the same, if not a lot less, cost than comparable digital ("comparable" meaning equipment including output that rivals or matches what one can get using LF). Now if they meant that "leisure" was a time thing, than yes, LF is lesiure-ly.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

The question is ambiguous.
    Are they asking if large format is a leisurely pursuit...as in, do I do it for fun or for work...(I do it for fun only).
    or are they asking if large format photography is a pursuit for the rich/wealthy/Bourgeois only? (I don't think so).

Being retired and disabled, any photography I can do is at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have several income streams, one of which involves photography (print sales and workshops).

But primarily my photography is an artistic pursuit.

I have a day and a half left of "work" left before I retire after 24 years working for the university (halftime position)...and a prior 12 years with the US Forestry Service (fulltime seasonal). My three boys are 18 and off to college, etc. The house is paid for (doing foundation work right now...then a darkroom!). No pets, divorced. A bar next door and a brewery/taproom five minutes walk away.

So lots of leisure ahead -- and I'll do it with as much class as I can muster.
    Good for you! You have earned it!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Are they asking if large format is a leisurely pursuit... or are they asking if large format photography is a pursuit for the rich/wealthy/Bourgeois only?
    She said "leisure class" because (I suspect) she meant adults, like themselves, with a lot of disposable time (and income), but I wish I had been quick enough to emphasize the "leisurely" working pace often required by our (leisure class?) work.

I think in a national park the answer is always yes.