Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1903 Dagor

1903 Dagor

I have what might be the oldest dagor in the country. I have a gorgeous 16 1/2". Check out what is engraved on the outer rim. I'll try to type it exactly.................................................. GOERZ.... DOUBLE - ANASTIGMAT...... U. S. PAT. No.. 528155 SERIES III.... No. 7A ...... F. O. C. 16 1/2 IN. ..... No. 120XXX. ...........according to the serial numbers this was made somewhere between 1902 - 1903. Does anyone have any info on these really old lenes I would appreciate any help. ( where's andrew when you need him?)...thanks in advance

1903 Dagor

What info would you like?

CP Goerz.

1903 Dagor

wow....that's service....Andrew i sent you a email

1903 Dagor

Could y'all share it here? I suspect that many, like me, would enjoy it.

1903 Dagor

Sure Jim I don't mind. I sent Andrew an email before I realized he had answered so promptly.

1903 Dagor

for those interested my questions for Andrew are from someone who has never had the pleasure of owning a lens like this up to now. I ask.... the lens says double-anastigmat and I do know that dagor is a combination of those two words. When did goerz add the name dagor to the printing on the lens because obviously mine does not say dagor anywhere on it? Also why does it say 7a instead of 7.7?

1903 Dagor

The lens that came to be known as the Dagor was designed in 1892 by Emil Von Hoegh. Goerz bought the design and hired him. The lens was released as the Doppel Anastigmat Goerz. Shortened to the trade name "Dagor" in 1904. (with patents and copyrights, naming a product after its' function became problematic....someone else may design something that does the same thing, but achieves it differently, so, they had to start coming up with non-descriptive names.)
    At the time, it was common to number a series of lenses, the "7A" on your Dagor refers to the focal length. A #7 is a 14" lens, #7a 16.5", the #8 is the 19", and so on.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

1903 Dagor

Thanks Tracy, again this forum is a wealth of info. Now everything on the lens makes sense. I would not have ever made true the frustrating times on my way to ULF addiction with out this forum and the knowledge you all are so willing to share..Tracy, thanx for the fix.

1903 Dagor

to excited about getting this on a board. Let me clarify my last literary masterpiece. What I meant to say was ...." I would have never made it through the frustrating times on my way to ULF addiction without the knowledge you all are so willing to share....Tracy, Thanx for the fix................there ....now where is that lens board!

1903 Dagor

Coincidence - I just bought one of these from the auction site. The glass is in super condition, and mine is an f6.8, mounted on a custom lenscone on a graphic board. I plan to shoot it on what else--my Speed Graphic. According to the seller, who had a very complete history of the lens, states that the lens covers 8x10 with no problem. Since I'm only going to use it on 4x5 I plan to use it with a lot of movements.

I don't have the lens yet, but once I do I plan to give it a good test and hopefully keep it as a standard lens on my SG.

It is a samll world!