Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 or Medium Format for Scanning?

4x5 or Medium Format for Scanning?

Well "4x5 or Medium Format for Scanning?" - I face the same problem now. Can I get better results from 4x5 + flat bed scanner or 6x9 + Nikkon LS-9000? As a 35mm user I had problems with scannig of Velvia slides (too high density), but LS-5000 now solves this problem. Recently I tested Canon 9950F (same category as 4870) and compared it directly it with LS-5000. Although Canon declared higher resolution (but od chip only) and high density, flat bed can not match Nikon (not surprise - but difference is really big). There is lower real resolution, lower contrast, lower density, worse color fidelity and the most important - LOT OF NOISE accross all the image area. For me scans from Canon 9950F are absolutely useless.
    But on the other hand I found ttah it is easier to work with 4x5 (for me as a beginner in LF) because of twice bigger ground glass and It's much easier to get field 4x5 camera that can use 55mm lens than 6x9 camera that can use 35mm lens (I use exta wide lenses a lot). So now I'm looking for company with good drum in my city.

You need to process your negatives a little flatter for the scanner, use Vuescan instead of the Canon software, and use 16 passes to reduce noise. I have a 9950f and doing that really really makes a difference on 4x5. If you are shooting chromes, you are SOL with a home flatbed unless all of you shots are flat.

Wo! my head is spinning.
    I been thinking of doing my contact sheets digitally. (film to capture, then scanning neg. then printing, storing cd, etc).
    I do LF, MF, and 35mm, and all my work is in B&W.
    In summary for contact sheets what scanner & printer would be suitable (I work primarily with B&W)
    Thanks in advance

B&W digitally is not a good idea (only for electronic use - than Minolta dedicated scanners are slightly better than Nikons). Especially if only contact sheets needed. Digital way means: more money (only good scanner can do it well - problem with LF), more time, lower quality. Even printers are improving very fast, the quality of printed B&W can not match tradtional way. I also tried to scann negatives to see which ones are good and than enlarge them. But this way really takes too much time. I make contact sheets by the traditional way because it is faster, cheaper and on this contacts I also see how to make good enlargement (better than from scanns).
    And the same in enlargements - nothing can match classical baryt paper in tonal range , deep black and overall impression.