View Poll Results: Bear spray in bear country?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

12 42.86%
  • No, it's really just dead weight.

8 28.57%
  • It depends, and here's why: (Please share.)

4 14.29%
  • I'm not sure, but I’m reading this thread with interest.

4 14.29%
  • Me, I don't hike in bear country

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear spray when hiking into bear country – yes, no, maybe?

Lurker

Re: Why kill the mother bear?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Even though I was born in Montana, I have been a city dweller most of my life.

So with that said, would someone please explain to me why it was necessary to kill the mother bear. Wasn't she most likely defending her cubs and/or territory? After all, he was invading her territory, it's not like she was seeking him out.

Yes, the man's body was partially consumed but can't it be assumed that was a natural thing for the bears to do with a dead body?
    From the link, bear do not usually eat the corpse when defending their cubs. She not only ate but she covered the remains in order to return and finish.

David

Drew Wiley

Re: Bear spray when hiking into bear country – yes, no, maybe?

The poll doesn't differentiate between black bears and grizzlies. But in Yellowstone, you have about a fifty times greater likelihood of getting killed by a bison than a bear. "Bison spray" or just leave your red darkcloth at home? When my hiking pal accidentally shot himself in the back with his bear spray last year, I kidded him that it would lead to him being eaten by bears who prefer Mex Tex cuisine. He never did manage to wash that stuff completely out of his pack. It still stings. So he had to throw the pack away and buy a new one. I've never bought a can of bear spray myself, but generally hike in black bear country anyway. I never worry about them. Family members who frequently travel in Alaska wilderness prefer a 12 ga shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Only in grizzly country. Totally unnecessary for black bear in the lower 48.
    I agree 100%. I've done many many backcountry trips in the California Sierras and encountered a hundred or so bears over the years. Never had a problem.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Re: Why kill the mother bear?

OP, sure get it. Pepper spray alone is not good. I've used it on attack animals and it hardly phases em. Bear spray is what you need...if you want to continue fondling your cams for years to come. It is the cheapest insurance you can get.

Drew Wiley

One significant factor which is changing the behavior of grizzlies in the northern Rockies is the catastrophic failure of the whitebark pine nut crop, which these bears depend on to fatten up. These trees are dying en masse due to the pine beetle epidemic, itself caused by climate warming and unusually warm winters, which are not killing these beetles off. Young males grizzlies in particular are being forced off territories held by stronger males due to food shortages, and are
    tending to wander farther afield from their traditional Yellowstone ecosystem. Incidents with pets and livestock at lower altitudes are becoming more frequent.

To put earlier (carefree) remarks about black bears into perspective, let's talk brutal facts.

Since 2010 in U.S. + Canada:
    --Human deaths by black bear: 6
    --Human deaths by brown bear (grizzly): 11

These numbers should cause one to reflect that black bears, despite their comparative docility, can also be deadly.

They also underscore the extreme rarity of fatal bear attacks of any kind.

-----
    Interesting note: the most recent death by polar bear was in 1999.

Drew - you would be able to out talk the bear.. no need for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The poll doesn't differentiate between black bears and grizzlies. But in Yellowstone, you have about a fifty times greater likelihood of getting killed by a bison than a bear. "Bison spray" or just leave your red darkcloth at home? When my hiking pal accidentally shot himself in the back with his bear spray last year, I kidded him that it would lead to him being eaten by bears who prefer Mex Tex cuisine. He never did manage to wash that stuff completely out of his pack. It still stings. So he had to throw the pack away and buy a new one. I've never bought a can of bear spray myself, but generally hike in black bear country anyway. I never worry about them. Family members who frequently travel in Alaska wilderness prefer a 12 ga shotgun.

Drew Wiley

Deaths due to cell phone distraction alone last year, thousands. Deaths due to domestic dog attacks per year in this country, hundreds. Bob, my mom learned about grizzlies. This was years ago, when I was little. She was munching a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while trying to snap a photo of a roadside grizzly with
    her little box Brownie camera. It deftly pulled that sandwich right out of her hands. There's something quite memorable about seeing a set of three inch long claws
    swiping a few inches from your face. I was about a foot away. Their dexterity is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    To put earlier (carefree) remarks about black bears into perspective, let's talk brutal facts.

Since 2010 in U.S. + Canada:
    --Human deaths by black bear: 6
    --Human deaths by brown bear (grizzly): 11

These numbers should cause one to reflect that black bears, despite their comparative docility, can also be deadly.

They also underscore the extreme rarity of fatal bear attacks of any kind.

-----
    Interesting note: the most recent death by polar bear was in 1999.
    I think you have to look at these numbers relative to the number of human/bear encounters. There are many more black bears in the US and they live not only in the wild but also in and around populated areas. There are far fewer grizzlies and most live in remote areas, so there are far fewer encounters with humans. But, point taken, black bears can be dangerous too if you are not careful around them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I agree.
    Then something like this happens
    http://abc30.com/news/man-fights-off...dpines/927205/
    The attack probably had something to due to the drought here, I'm thinking.
    Black Bears have never caused a problem for me but I follow the "rule of thumb" which is, if I can cover the bear with my thumb, that's about as close as I care to get.
    Key factor here is a bear in a neighborhood habituated to eating our of trash cans. That's a recipe for a bad ending (almost always for the bear). Very different than a black bear encounter in the back country.