View Poll Results: Bear spray in bear country?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

12 42.86%
  • No, it's really just dead weight.

8 28.57%
  • It depends, and here's why: (Please share.)

4 14.29%
  • I'm not sure, but I’m reading this thread with interest.

4 14.29%
  • Me, I don't hike in bear country

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear spray when hiking into bear country – yes, no, maybe?

Bear spray when hiking into bear country – yes, no, maybe?

In view of this summer's fatal grizzly mauling in Yellowstone, it might be timely to determine, once and for all, the consensus about bear spray among the many wilderness-exploring LFers around here.

Maybe we'll all learn something and improve our safety in the outdoors.

Let's set aside the topic of firearms. Pretend it's not an option. I know you can do it!

The main assumption is that you're a gear-burdened LFer, hiking into bear country – Ursus americanus and/or Ursus horribilis. Day hike, overnight, or extended stay.

Useful tips or recommendations from those who bring it? (BTW, do you realize just how incredibly rare bear attacks are?)

Or thoughts from those who are skeptical or scoff at it? (What, pray tell, do you have to lose by bringing it?)

If it "depends," what factors contribute to your decision?

-----
    For the record, I’m a canister-carrying member of the "It's always with me" party.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear spray.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	138804

Les

Re: Bear spray when hiking into bear country – yes, no, maybe?

There have been some strange incidences w/bears. I only carry a canister when I indulge in a hike more than few hundred yards from a vehicle. If the surrounding view is way open, I'll likely leave it in the vehicle. Much depends on what sorts of area one is in. In the few recent trips to AK, I've only taken the canister about 1/2 dozen times w/me. Areas such as rivers and lakes are likely a magnet to a bear; therefore, I tend to take the canister. If it's a thicker brush and I feel in exploratory mood....I'll take the canister.

Maybe not the most recent incident (as an example), but a woman was jogging on Elmendorf-Richardson military base (in Anchorage) and was mauled by a bear. She survived, but even playing "dead" does not guarantee how the animal will react. Ha, one would have thought that's a relatively "safe" area.

Overall, I think it's a personal decision...whether one decides to carry such canister.

Les

Les, that's a useful comment about "thicker brush" – which offers greater potential for surprise encounters than open country.

Just for background, here's the story about Yellowstone's grizzly attack from the NP's web site:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/15056.htm

Quick summary:
    --The lone hiker (Lance Crosby, age 63) did not have bear spray.
    --This was near Elephant Back Loop Trail and Natural Bridge Trail.
    --Crosby was partially consumed and his body cached away from the trail.
    --The grizzly sow responsible for the attack was captured and euthanized.
    --Her two cubs are being processed for a new life in a zoo.

Note that Yellowstone NP advises visitors to always carry bear spray, and hike in groups of three or more.

What about siriracha loving bears? That might lead to a...uhhh.... situation.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I haven't carried bear spray or bells yet. But if the ranger says I should, I would. Lighter than a shotgun and sounds like accidents aren't lethal.

Only in grizzly country. Totally unnecessary for black bear in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Good point.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I agree.
    Then something like this happens
    http://abc30.com/news/man-fights-off...dpines/927205/
    The attack probably had something to due to the drought here, I'm thinking.
    Black Bears have never caused a problem for me but I follow the "rule of thumb" which is, if I can cover the bear with my thumb, that's about as close as I care to get.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Some may be curious about the cost, weight, spray distance, and spray time for these canisters. The "Counter Assault" brand (seen in post #1, available from REI) comes in two sizes w/ these specs:

8.1 oz./230 grams – $45
    Spray distance: 32 feet
    Spray time: 7.2 sec.

10.2 oz./290 grams – $55
    Spray distance: 30 feet
    Spray time: 9.2 sec.

One might ask, "Why pay $10 more for (merely) two additional seconds of spray?" As I mentioned once, I'd go with it. If you accidentally corner or surprise a bear, and he's angry about it, that's the cheapest $10 you'll ever spend. (I imagine this is what happened to the Yellowstone hiker, who didn't have bear spray.)

I have the optional holster for my belt. When walking on the trail, I practice "finding" the canister, pulling it from the holster, removing the white safety tab, and aiming it (all in a hurry). You want these actions to be second nature when it counts – though chances are overwhelming that you'll never have to use the canister. Ever.

-----
    I even imagine myself watching an angry grizzly approach me, head lowered, teeth snapping, 70 feet away, 60 feet, 50 feet, 40 feet – remembering the canister works best from 30 feet or less. (And just where is the wind coming from?) Good "shot discipline" also requires nerves of steel!

Why kill the mother bear?

Even though I was born in Montana, I have been a city dweller most of my life.

So with that said, would someone please explain to me why it was necessary to kill the mother bear. Wasn't she most likely defending her cubs and/or territory? After all, he was invading her territory, it's not like she was seeking him out.

Yes, the man's body was partially consumed but can't it be assumed that was a natural thing for the bears to do with a dead body?