checking various internet sites such as eBay and have
    also looked at a number of online antique camera stores
    (both in the U.S. and abroad) to try and locate a holder
    with no success. I don't want to purchase the camera
    without having a holder. Any suggestions on where I
    could possibly pick one up? Thanks in advance for any
    assistance that you can provide.

Re: Looking for a 10 x 12 plate holder for a Midland camera

I take this as a general request about availability! Rather than a specific "wanted" listing - which would be removed by the mods.

There is no complete dimensionalstandard for these plate book holders, but it is almost always possible to adapt without too much skilled artisanal effort!

I have seen these ocassionally on ebay (uk) along with the larger standard formats up to 15x12". Whilst the range of old photographic items on offer is slowly falling away, there is still a good chance. Perhaps within a year or so. Listed prices can be reasonable. If you ask here in a month (when you can enter the for sale/wanted section) you might get a surprise - but don't expect a complete set of 3 to be available!

Whilst there is still new manufacture of ULF plate/plate holders, I don't think that 12x10" is a common modern ULF selection.

I don't think Midland of Birmingham made their own cameras. More likely they ordered a range of cameras from Billcliff of Manchester or even from the local Lancaster & Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I take this as a general request about availability! Rather than a specific "wanted" listing - which would be removed by the mods.

There is no complete dimensionalstandard for these plate book holders, but it is almost always possible to adapt without too much skilled artisanal effort!

I have seen these ocassionally on ebay (uk) along with the larger standard formats up to 15x12". Whilst the range of old photographic items on offer is slowly falling away, there is still a good chance. Perhaps within a year or so. Listed prices can be reasonable. If you ask here in a month (when you can enter the for sale/wanted section) you might get a surprise - but don't expect a complete set of 3 to be available!

Whilst there is still new manufacture of ULF plate/plate holders, I don't think that 12x10" is a common modern ULF selection.

I don't think Midland of Birmingham made their own cameras. More likely they ordered a range of cameras from Billcliff of Manchester or even from the local Lancaster & Sons.
    Thanks so much, Steven! I will definitely check the 'for sale/wanted' section later on....

There were about 10 of these 10x12 holders on eBay and 3 cameras just a month ago, they come and go.

Definitely post a WTB add in the WTB section.

There are some who may hand-make you holders. They will cost a lot, but it's possible.

Good luck!

Did you buy this 12x10"?

Your FS/WTD month is almost up!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The Midland Camera company made their own cameras and enlargers & had quite a modern mechanised factory, their directors held 3 patents. They appear to also have been importing smaller hand cameras from Germany judging aby an illustration in a 1910 advert. When they went into liquidation the trade name went to Thornton Pickard, they may well have been one of the companies TP sub-contracted to, the enlargers are very similar.

Ian

My advice would be NOT to buy an older plate camera without holders unless you feel like spending a lot money to have new holders made. I'm going through this right now with a 10x12 Sanderson. I picked up 5 book form plate holders recently, all 5 are different. One of those holders fits pretty well, but not perfectly. In the end I will probably have a spring back made for it and use modern 10x12 film holders (I already have 8 of those). Mostly it's the length of the holder itself and the upper right groove in the back that are the main variables between the holders.

For the most part, I've found the holders made in England have held up better than those made in India or Japan.

http://www.wetplatesupplies.com/ - Perhaps give these guys a bell/email they may be able to advise further.