Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

I use the 2509n reels because I just can't justify the beautiful expert tanks. I don't think a lot of people realize how well toy IR goggles help in loading sheet film reels. I even bought an IR LED flood light for 20 bucks off eBay, I use my SpyNet IR binoculars, and bungee them to my head. I have covered the red leds on this so I don't accidentally turn them on as this would fog the film. I've done everything but IR film (DUH) with absolutely no effect on the film. Last time I loaded a 2509n with 6 sheets of Ektachrome in under 5 minutes including snapping those Damn plates on. This is how I load my CL81 reel as well that I really like. I can focus these closely can read the fine print on the backing paper. Truly amazing for an old guy like me. The only draw back is you really do need to seal the rubber goggle to you face with bungees and if it's warm you can fog your glasses, if you don't ware glasses or wear contacts this is a great set up.
    One advantage of using reels is I just pull them out of the tank and pop them into a Calumet film washer and you can really wash the film fast. If you are a professional and time is money buy a new CPP3 and Expert tanks, I've watched the CPP3 video of the construction of the processor and it is built like a tank. All I have to do is convince the Wife😊 Best Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I started with the 2509n reels on a CPE2+, and then moved to 2509n on a CPP2, and now 3006 on the CPP2.

The CPP2 is a MUCH better system than the CPE2+, and the 3006 is a MUCH better tank than the 2509n. The major cost of a CPP2 is the shipping. They can be have for typically as low as $500 or so (that $200 listed above is a bargain), but shipping it will cost up to three hundred bucks (!) if they have someone else like UPS to pack and ship (that's the quote I got from a seller before I found one locally).
    Richard, thanks for sharing your experience. I am keeping my good eye peeled for one of those epic $200 CPP2 deals! If you hear of one in Texas let me know
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Richard, thanks for sharing your experience. I am keeping my good eye peeled for one of those epic $200 CPP2 deals! If you hear of one in Texas let me know
    I paid $500 for mine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I use the 2509n reels because I just can't justify the beautiful expert tanks. I don't think a lot of people realize how well toy IR goggles help in loading sheet film reels. I even bought an IR LED flood light for 20 bucks off eBay, I use my SpyNet IR binoculars, and bungee them to my head. I have covered the red leds on this so I don't accidentally turn them on as this would fog the film. I've done everything but IR film (DUH) with absolutely no effect on the film. Last time I loaded a 2509n with 6 sheets of Ektachrome in under 5 minutes including snapping those Damn plates on. This is how I load my CL81 reel as well that I really like. I can focus these closely can read the fine print on the backing paper. Truly amazing for an old guy like me. The only draw back is you really do need to seal the rubber goggle to you face with bungees and if it's warm you can fog your glasses, if you don't ware glasses or wear contacts this is a great set up.
    One advantage of using reels is I just pull them out of the tank and pop them into a Calumet film washer and you can really wash the film fast. If you are a professional and time is money buy a new CPP3 and Expert tanks, I've watched the CPP3 video of the construction of the processor and it is built like a tank. All I have to do is convince the Wife�� Best Regards Mike
    Mike, the toy IR googles are a great idea! That is very inventive. I will try them. I will need to disable those red LED's as I would surely turn them on and fog my film. Can you tell me which toy IR googles you are using specifically? Where did you get them?
    Thanks, Paul
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Mike, the toy IR googles are a great idea! That is very inventive. I will try them. I will need to disable those red LED's as I would surely turn them on and fog my film. Can you tell me which toy IR googles you are using specifically? Where did you get them?
    Thanks, Paul
    Here is a link to the manufacturer, sell on Amazon and Ebay, there is a couple of models that record video, I have the basic set up, can find for 50 to 60 bucks

http://www.spynethq.com/spynet-arsen...lth-binoculars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpyNet.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	140880

You will need a bungee to strap them to your head, my wife thinks I'm crazy and you look like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Here is a link to the manufacturer, sell on Amazon and Ebay, there is a couple of models that record video, I have the basic set up, can find for 50 to 60 bucks

http://www.spynethq.com/spynet-arsen...lth-binoculars

Name:	SpyNet.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	140880

You will need a bungee to strap them to your head, my wife thinks I'm crazy and you look like an idiot

Name:	sml. IR.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	140881

Thus the you look like an idiot, I have the gray duct tape over the IR LEDs because emulsion is BLAZING white in IR, I use a IR flood light I bought on Ebay new for 20 bucks off to the side, lights up the entire darkroom. THESE are a toy not Zeiss binoculars, but I am deliberate, I focus carefully on the reel, I can read the "HEWES British Made" on my stainless reels. Don't try to walk around as there is NO depth perception, (they are really a two eye viewing monocular) Very Narrow field of view, Still I'm gonna be sixty in a couple of years and my fingers aren't what they used to be.

Between these and 3 Thomas safelights I'm ready to go. Just don't be so crazy as to post a picture of yourself wearing these things on the internet!!!

On the 2509n reel: as I (and others) have reported before: some film/developer combo's (in my case MACO IR/PyrocatHD) will always give you surge marks around these triangle "thingies"in the reel which hold your firm, at the lowest speed on my ancient CPE2.

I now have in loan a 3010 and a Simma roller base, never looked back.. but perhaps YMMV..

Good luck,

Cor