Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    1,414

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I bet it'd fit if you had a hammer on hand.
    We custom built a testbed for that purpose, with an exrta strong motor and special housing, cooling and more. There is just not enough power in that motor/PS combo to drive an Expert tank over more then an hour or so, and that was an empty tank. Perhaps a stronger motor, which will fit in there (i know there are such motors) and a stronger power supply will make such a modification meaningful. Then you run into all kinds of other issues, like the fact the red rack has to be removed as well....

  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    6,337

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    At this point, to get useful advice, the OP needs to be clearer about what he's trying to accomplish and what his priorities are. If he's determined to use his CPE2, then the Expert drums are out, and he needs to know about possibilities that are compatible with the CPE2. If he's determined to use an Expert drum and is willing to set aside the CPE2 but doesn't want to invest in a CPA/CPP, then a 3006 or 3010 on a roller base would be a reasonable possibility.

  3. #13
    loujon
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western, PA.
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I bet it'd fit if you had a hammer on hand.
    Your funny Vinny. Seems to me I've posted that very thing a few times.

    Why? Because your funny Vinny.

  4. #14

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Late cpa2/cpp2 are better for expert drums. For 4X5 format, if you shoot often, jobo-3010 + cpa2/cpp2 are really worthy to invest. Be patient, I got my cpp2 on ebay with several drums and timer just for $199 and it works flawless.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    At this point, to get useful advice, the OP needs to be clearer about what he's trying to accomplish and what his priorities are. If he's determined to use his CPE2, then the Expert drums are out, and he needs to know about possibilities that are compatible with the CPE2. If he's determined to use an Expert drum and is willing to set aside the CPE2 but doesn't want to invest in a CPA/CPP, then a 3006 or 3010 on a roller base would be a reasonable possibility.
    Bold mine


    Good point. My goal is to process 4x5 using the CPE2+ that I have. I now understand that no expert drum will work with that model. Therefore, can I process 4x5 (with CPE2+) with any drum that does not need a reel? If so, how many sheets can I do at once in the recommended drum?
    www.paulchaplo.com
    "If you get a metal fragment in your eye, think magnet!" - Paul Chaplo

  6. #16
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Bold mine


    Good point. My goal is to process 4x5 using the CPE2+ that I have. I now understand that no expert drum will work with that model. Therefore, can I process 4x5 (with CPE2+) with any drum that does not need a reel? If so, how many sheets can I do at once in the recommended drum?
    I believe what Oren is trying to explain is that the CPE2+ does not have the depth in the trough to allow for the increased diameter of the Expert drums. The expert drums are the only non-reel tanks for sheet film.

    The 2500 series tanks (2551 drum I believe, but they made a few variations that all work) that take reels and the 2509n reel that takes 4x5 sheets is the only Jobo product that will work for rotary processing in your CPE2+ machine. You can use TWO 2509n reels in a 2551 tank and each reel takes 6 sheets so that's 12 sheets total.

    If you want to use the non-reel Expert drums (3000 series) then you need a different processor. They are diffident size tanks (on the diameter) and require different size processors.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I believe what Oren is trying to explain is that the CPE2+ does not have the depth in the trough to allow for the increased diameter of the Expert drums. The expert drums are the only non-reel tanks for sheet film.

    The 2500 series tanks (2551 drum I believe, but they made a few variations that all work) that take reels and the 2509n reel that takes 4x5 sheets is the only Jobo product that will work for rotary processing in your CPE2+ machine. You can use TWO 2509n reels in a 2551 tank and each reel takes 6 sheets so that's 12 sheets total.

    If you want to use the non-reel Expert drums (3000 series) then you need a different processor. They are diffident size tanks (on the diameter) and require different size processors.
    Thanks. I will take another look at the 2509n reels -- I wonder how well those work (meaning loading easily/accurately and not having streaking or processing problems) with a HP5+ which I think is a thinner film. I dread 4x5 reels and may end up selling my CPE2+ lift.
    www.paulchaplo.com
    "If you get a metal fragment in your eye, think magnet!" - Paul Chaplo

  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    6,337

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Thanks. I will take another look at the 2509n reels -- I wonder how well those work (meaning loading easily/accurately and not having streaking or processing problems) with a HP5+ which I think is a thinner film. I dread 4x5 reels and may end up selling my CPE2+ lift.
    You might search a bit here and on APUG for discussion of using 2800-series print drums for developing film, despite Jobo's warnings against it. Results are a mixed bag, but some people seem to be able to pull it off. Not sure whether that encompasses 4x5 - my recollection mainly relates to 5x7 or 8x10. At any rate, might be worth looking into before you give up on the CPE2+.

  9. #19

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    I started with the 2509n reels on a CPE2+, and then moved to 2509n on a CPP2, and now 3006 on the CPP2.

    The CPP2 is a MUCH better system than the CPE2+, and the 3006 is a MUCH better tank than the 2509n. The major cost of a CPP2 is the shipping. They can be have for typically as low as $500 or so (that $200 listed above is a bargain), but shipping it will cost up to three hundred bucks (!) if they have someone else like UPS to pack and ship (that's the quote I got from a seller before I found one locally).

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    1,414

    Re: Jobo 3004 expert tank for 4x5 using CPE2 plus processor?

    Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Thanks. I will take another look at the 2509n reels -- I wonder how well those work (meaning loading easily/accurately and not having streaking or processing problems) with a HP5+ which I think is a thinner film. I dread 4x5 reels and may end up selling my CPE2+ lift.
    the 2509n reels work well, as 30+ years of worldwide experience might attest to. All processing issues, if you encounter any, have a user methodology solution.
    Like anything else there will be a learning curve. Some people take some practice to load, some don't.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •