Thread: Synchro-Compur shutter w/ SuperAngulon 65/8

Synchro-Compur shutter w/ SuperAngulon 65/8

I just got this lens on ebay and the shutter appears to be busted. The blades do not cover the entire aperture.

I can't see any way to make the shutter open for composition. With my other lens and Copal 0 I just move a lever over and the shutter opens up. What do I move on this Synchro-Compur to accomplish the same task? I'd like to make sure I can operate it correctly before I demand a refund from the seller.

not all shutter have preview facility by any means. the lens you describe, which i own in linhof select form, does not have preview.

to preview with such a lens. merely use a locking cable release with the lens set to "B."

i am baffled by your comments about the diaphragm. i would suggest testing the lens by taking pics before jumping to any conclusions.

Focus operation on Compur shutters is more complicated than on Copals. On some versions, you cock the shutter, then pull on a tab to open the shutter, then push the tab to close it when you are done. On others, you cock the shutter, then slide and hold a button while you trip the shutter. The slide button moves a lever that blocks the cocking lever from completing its travel when the shutter is tripped, thereby leaving the shutter open. When you are done with focusing, you move the button to release the cocking lever.

Play around with the controls, but don't force anything.

If you are still can't figure it out, perhaps the shutter is broken. Or post a photo somewhere of the controls so that we can tell which version you have.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the lack of a preview lever is expected on this shutter. If the rest of the shutter worked, I would probably play with it to figure out how to do preview without the cable release, however given the other problem with it I'm almost certainly returning the lens anyway.

I do think the shutter is blown -- it looks like one of the aperture blades is missing. I am going to raise hell with the seller, which is a major camera chain on the west coast.

notwithsatnding michael's helpful comments, there is no preview button the shutter you describe. a locking cable release is required (or you can hold it open on B or hire someone to stand next to you and hold it open).

as for the blades not closing properly, i assume you've tried cycling it a few times. if a whole blade is gone, clearly it needs repair.

if the seler is a big camera store (pacific rim??), then they may well be inclined to let you have it serviced with them picking up the tab. this is a great way to get a lens that you KNOW has been serviced for a good price (has there ever been a LF lens ad that doesn't mention "recent CLA").

by the way, this is a superb lens, as is the 47mm f5.6 super.

I've owned two lenses with Synchro Compur shutters, both had preview levers but they didn't look like the large plastic levers that are on Copal shutters. On mine the preview lever was a small metal serated tab located at about the 7 o'clock position on the lens as you face the front of the lens and it was easy to overlook. There were, as I recall, two small serated levers there, one was for preview and I never learned what the other was for. You might check to see if you have something like I'm describing on your lens.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Matthew,

I'd return it.

FYI, most lenses this old need the glass and shutter cleaned; total about $200 at S. K. Grimes, maybe a bit less elsewhere. But the point is not many old lenses are worth the purchase price + cleaning of the shutter and glass.

Buy accordingly.

Steve

They offered to fix the shutter for free, so that's what I'm going to do. The glass looks clean to me, no haze, so I think I'm ok from that end.

many, even most, synchro-compurs have preview levers. this lens does not. it is really best not to just guess about these things if you don't actually know the answer.