Thread: Small puzzle, possibly a small Goerz

Small puzzle, possibly a small Goerz

Just received lens that -- surprise! -- wasn't quite what I hoped it would be.

The front cell is engraved "Doppel-Anastigmat 1:6,8 f - 13 cm". No maker's name anywhere on it.

It is in a dial-set Compur with C.P.Goerz engraved on the speed dial.

No serial numbers anywhere, just what I think is a German patent (D.R.P.) number on the shutter's face plate.

I've counted reflections, saw four strong, no weak from each cell. So it is a dialyte type. Uncoated, of course. It passes light and forms an image. The focal length is very nearly, if not exactly, 13 cm, so I think it isn't a pair of loose cells someone screwed into a shutter that happened to be lying around. #0 shutter, as near as makes no difference.

Any suggestions about how to tell which Goerz lens it is, and even whether it is a Goerz? I mean, Goerz applied several names to their dialytes in the '20s.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks, gentlemen.

I have a barrel mount 10 3/4" Goerz Double-Anastigmat Type B, Series 1c (No. 5), serial #140xxx, calibrated in US stops. I don't have the lens in hand at the moment, so I don't know the maximum stop in US stops. Somewhere I got the idea the Series 1c Double-Anastigmat was a Celor formula. I thought it was listed as such in the "Handbook of Photography" by Henney and Dudley, but I don't see it there now. I also have a barrel mount 8 1/4" Goerz Celor f5 , Series 1b (No.3), serial #229xxx, also US stops. Is it possible Goerz labeled the early Celor formula lenses "Double-Anastigmat" and started using the Celor name later, probably to avoid confusion with the Series III Double-Anastigmat which became the Dagor? Henney & Dudley do show the Syntor as a f6.8 Celor formula, available in focal lengths 12-21 cm. I've always assumed the lens info in H & D isn't 100% accurate, although it is an interesting reference. What was the difference (if any) between a Celor and a Syntor?

Hi Dan. Kind of tough with no other markings. Dogmar's were dialyt but every one I've seen was well marked. Not sure what the Celor's were. I have a very early Rodenstock Dopple Anastigmat Eurynar that is 4 glass 4 group but again well marked. If it's a doppel anastigmat each element should be useable independently like a convertible. Maybe Goerz supplied some cheaper models to camera makers to mark with their own "house brand" and that one just never got remarked. Yes I'm a sucker for anything that says "Doppel Anastigmat f6.8" always figuring I'm getting an un-named Dagor and have gotten the dialyt's also. One like that was an Agfa Helostar that I just re-sold at a loss after I went through the shutter and made a useable lens out of it. We buy high and sell low, but we make it up in volume. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Its most likely a Syntor.

CP Goerz.