Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: lights for wetplates

Re: lights for wetplates

finally got all materials needed to test the LED lights - my first wet plates ever

two lights from 200 cm placed next to camera lens to get even illumination

1st light : 24*48 5630 LED panels (cold white)
    2nd light : 4 * 90W hybrid aquarium LEDs

2nd light is about 5 times brighter than 1st in blue portion - measured with arduino + tsl235r + blue filter

indicated exposure with sverdlovsk 4 spot meter at ISO3 against grey card : 1 second @ f8
    raw frequency from tsl235r + blue filter placed in the middle of the scene : 34500 Hz

actual exposure : 2 seconds @ f11

materials and process: 9x12 black aluminium, OWH (3 weeks old), MD-4 developer, developing time : 15~20s, fixer : fomafix with water (1:4), without varnish, scanned with v500

this is my 2nd wet plate attempt (first plate was for the test strip) and these lights seem promising for wet plates (especially the hybrid LEDs)

Quote Originally Posted by knuf View Post
    finally got all materials needed to test the LED lights - my first wet plates ever

two lights from 200 cm placed next to camera lens to get even illumination

1st light : 24*48 5630 LED panels (cold white)
    2nd light : 4 * 90W hybrid aquarium LEDs

2nd light is about 5 times brighter than 1st in blue portion - measured with arduino + tsl235r + blue filter

indicated exposure with sverdlovsk 4 spot meter at ISO3 against grey card : 1 second @ f8
    raw frequency from tsl235r + blue filter placed in the middle of the scene : 34500 Hz

actual exposure : 2 seconds @ f11

materials and process: 9x12 black aluminium, OWH (3 weeks old), MD-4 developer, developing time : 15~20s, fixer : fomafix with water (1:4), without varnish, scanned with v500

this is my 2nd wet plate attempt (first plate was for the test strip) and these lights seem promising for wet plates (especially the hybrid LEDs)

Mind pointing us to your suppliers? How much did you spend on materials to build the lights?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

1st light : 24x 48LED panels (5630 type)

- 24 panels : 80 USD
    - heatsinks : 30 USD
    - power supply : 30 USD
    - light stand : 15 USD
    - frame, cables, screws... : 15 USD

Total 170 USD

2nd light : 4x 90w hybrid aquarium LEDs with 5 channels (10000K+15000K+420nm+445nm+455nm)

- 4 LEDs + reflector + lens : 147 USD
    - heatsinks : 20 USD
    - power supply : 30 USD
    - light stand : 15 USD
    - frame, cables, screws... : 15 USD

Total 227 USD

you`ll find many suppliers for the LEDs and power supplies on the internet, rest of the materials is from local warehouses

note: hybrid LED manufacturer si able to make LEDs with custom wavelength configuration (e.g. 360nm,380nm,400nm,420nm,450nm)

Thank you so much for your great sharing! You are awesome.

When I was shooting wet plate I bought a set of LED lights and found they simply didn’t produce enough UV light for wet plate use so I returned them. I doubt you will have much success with them unless you find an LED light source that is specifically made to produce light in the UV spectrum. I then purchased two Photodiox C-1600 lighting kits (each light had 16 florescent bulbs) with soft boxes and those bulbs produce enough UV light to be effective with wet plate. I looked on Amazon and on Photodiox’s websites and the C-1600 does not appear to be in production any more. Most manufacturers are just making LED lights for people looking for continuous light sources.

Photodiox does still make some decent looking florescent kits however they don’t have nearly as many bulbs as the C-1600.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    When I was shooting wet plate I bought a set of LED lights and found they simply didn’t produce enough UV light for wet plate use so I returned them. I doubt you will have much success with them unless you find an LED light source that is specifically made to produce light in the UV spectrum. I then purchased two Photodiox C-1600 lighting kits (each light had 16 florescent bulbs) with soft boxes and those bulbs produce enough UV light to be effective with wet plate. I looked on Amazon and on Photodiox’s websites and the C-1600 does not appear to be in production any more. Most manufacturers are just making LED lights for people looking for continuous light sources.

Photodiox does still make some decent looking florescent kits however they don’t have nearly as many bulbs as the C-1600.

-Joshua
    After much reading and research. The problem with those 'LED lighting set' is that they don't give give enough of the required spectrum for wet plate. Deep inside me, I think I figured out what is the blend.

Just curious, in a studio setting. How fast can your exposure reach?

Neil

Neil,

It depended a lot on how close my lights were to my subject. But they were anywhere from 4-20 seconds.

-Joshua