Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: lights for wetplates

  1. #11
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    206

    Re: lights for wetplates

    People are building UV light boxes with them for alt printing.

    David

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I thought wet plate relied on UV light? Do they make LED's that emit high UV now?
    well, some say combination of UV-rich light and vintage (uncoated) lens is fastest, but i would really doubt the UV transmittance of any glass. Looking at salted collodion spectral sensitivity, it starts at 500+nm, peaks at 450nm/420nm (bromide/iodide) and extends to UV.

    But wikipedia says : "Most types of glass will allow longwave UV to pass, but absorb all the other UV wavelengths, usually from about 350 nm and below. For UV photography it is necessary to use specially developed lenses having elements made from fused quartz or quartz and fluorite."

    So you still have only ~50nm of near-UV portion usable for exposure with common lenses. Next thing is that conventional UV-rich light sources as mercury vapor lamps or MH should be really considered as "hot", uncomfortable or even dangerous for sitter.

    That`s why i think that in searching for ideal wetplates light, it would be better to find source which is rich in 400-500nm band and hybrid LEDs seem ideal in this. Broad blue light should be more comfortable as eye sensitivity is lower in blue (opposed to collodion) and LEDs can be switched on/off immediately and repeatedly or diminished (opposed to gas discharge lamps) saving the sitter from unnecessary exposure to near-UV/blue light (see UV / blue light hazard).

    And the best thing : Those hybrid aquarium LEDs were designed by/for different community. Some manufacturers offer customized LEDs - you can have any combination of chips with wavelengths from 350nm to 800nm easily. So we could have a 90w LED with channels in 360nm,380nm,400nm,420nm,450nm.

  3. #13
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by knuf View Post
    well, some say combination of UV-rich light and vintage (uncoated) lens is fastest, but i would really doubt the UV transmittance of any glass. Looking at salted collodion spectral sensitivity, it starts at 500+nm, peaks at 450nm/420nm (bromide/iodide) and extends to UV.

    But wikipedia says : "Most types of glass will allow longwave UV to pass, but absorb all the other UV wavelengths, usually from about 350 nm and below. For UV photography it is necessary to use specially developed lenses having elements made from fused quartz or quartz and fluorite."

    So you still have only ~50nm of near-UV portion usable for exposure with common lenses. Next thing is that conventional UV-rich light sources as mercury vapor lamps or MH should be really considered as "hot", uncomfortable or even dangerous for sitter.

    That`s why i think that in searching for ideal wetplates light, it would be better to find source which is rich in 400-500nm band and hybrid LEDs seem ideal in this. Broad blue light should be more comfortable as eye sensitivity is lower in blue (opposed to collodion) and LEDs can be switched on/off immediately and repeatedly or diminished (opposed to gas discharge lamps) saving the sitter from unnecessary exposure to near-UV/blue light (see UV / blue light hazard).

    And the best thing : Those hybrid aquarium LEDs were designed by/for different community. Some manufacturers offer customized LEDs - you can have any combination of chips with wavelengths from 350nm to 800nm easily. So we could have a 90w LED with channels in 360nm,380nm,400nm,420nm,450nm.
    Very cool!

    A friend, who does only WetPlate for a living (and he makes a TON off his work which are huge 16x22 size wet plates, once told me that he thought the whole lens thing was bunk, that he had used modern coated glass and there was no difference in exposure and the only reason he preferred brass was for the look he could get, not the "un-coated-ness" of the older lenses. So I'll just throw that out there as second hand knowledge. Would love someone to double blind that test.

    But the UV LED's are a neat idea, varying and controlling the frequency, neat!

  4. #14
    Mark Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    A friend, who does only WetPlate for a living (and he makes a TON off his work which are huge 16x22 size wet plates, once told me that he thought the whole lens thing was bunk, that he had used modern coated glass and there was no difference in exposure and the only reason he preferred brass was for the look he could get, not the "un-coated-ness" of the older lenses. So I'll just throw that out there as second hand knowledge. Would love someone to double blind that test.
    I'll confirm from first-hand experience, the AR coatings don't affect exposure times on wet plate. I often switch back and forth between coated and uncoated to control contrast. If people aren't doing this, they're sacrificing a valuable option...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Eric Antoine (http://www.ericantoinephoto.com/) recommended using 250w compact fluorescent light bulbs at a Workshop I took with him. You can get them at "grow-shops", most other lighting sources will not have them in stock, but might order them.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    312

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
    Eric Antoine (http://www.ericantoinephoto.com/) recommended using 250w compact fluorescent light bulbs at a Workshop I took with him. You can get them at "grow-shops", most other lighting sources will not have them in stock, but might order them.
    Interesting. Just hope the police aren't watching the store when you emerge with enough lights to start a small drug empire!

  7. #17
    Mark Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    Interesting. Just hope the police aren't watching the store when you emerge with enough lights to start a small drug empire!
    Especially when you also buy the biggest grow-tent to use as your darkroom!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: lights for wetplates

    To me, the best light for wetplate is that which is free: the sun!

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    Interesting. Just hope the police aren't watching the store when you emerge with enough lights to start a small drug empire!
    Wet-plate mugshot selfie!
    Because the Police have gone all digital nowadays.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Posts
    199

    Re: lights for wetplates

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
    Eric Antoine (http://www.ericantoinephoto.com/) recommended using 250w compact fluorescent light bulbs at a Workshop I took with him. You can get them at "grow-shops", most other lighting sources will not have them in stock, but might order them.
    They're online, too, for about $50 a pop. How many do you think we're talking about for a decent exposure? A 250w CFL is like a 900w Halogen in terms of lumens, but obviously, that's not UV...

Similar Threads

  1. Lights
    By Raffay in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2013, 16:03
  2. Lights
    By DKirk in forum Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2012, 10:59
  3. What lights should I buy?
    By SAShruby in forum Gear
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2010, 07:22
  4. BL lights
    By Nasser in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2009, 12:45
  5. HMI Lights
    By Neil Carey in forum Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2001, 18:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •