Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay and PayPal alternatives?

Re: eBay and PayPal alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    I haven't used eBay in years, since the inception of PayPal. I never liked that fact that it was owned by eBay, and there was a huge scandal years ago involving eBay employees committing fraud with PayPal accounts.
    So you stopped using ebay when Paypal was founded in 1998, or in 2002 when ebay bought Paypal? And I must have missed the huge scandal; when was that?

Re: Evil bay and payP alternatives?

There are still a few old "regulars" who sold on "The Bay" in its hey day, and who now sell privately pre-owned high quality used photo gear. The trick is to follow their websites, or to simply contact them with your needs.

While not as convenient as "The Bay" used to be, these proven old "regulars" are a good source for photo gear at reasonable prices. Indeed, some of the old "regulars" still offer their gear through "The Bay" , but naturally at higher prices than they privately offer the same equipment.

Flauvius,

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    So you stopped using ebay when Paypal was founded in 1998, or in 2002 when ebay bought Paypal? And I must have missed the huge scandal; when was that?
    Sorry for the confusion. My account was hacked in 2003, so I am thinking I read the stories about employee involvement around 2003 or 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Add to that quantitative discounts from Ebay and Paypal, then the actual cost to sell drops to 8-9% operational cost (including the % charged on collected shipping rate). The cost of shipping is usually on the buyer or part of the overall selling price, so i am not sure that can be counted, because you will have to pay for shipping at any venue.
    Add to that a minor loss for the buyer (not the seller) on exchange rate (unless he paid with the same currency already in his account in which case there is no exchange rate) and there you have it.
    I too have a hard time making the jump from 897$ to 1183 Euro.
    Good day, the difference includes the ebay shipping charge for customs, as mentioned in the earlier post. What I'll do once I get home at the end of the week is post a few print screens for the amusement of those who somehow seem to doubt the figures. There's nothing to gain by making this up, I merely used it as an illustrative example, based on my latest experience. That said the thirty-something shipping fee was very good considering the lot included multiple lenses, a field camera and a bunch of bits and bobs. Alas, more once I'm home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 16.57.43.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	138277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 16.59.58.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	138278

Hmm, seems like I can gun this on my mobile device. See attached. Plus the paypal charges not included in these (for the difference between the amount shown and the amount mentioned). The paypal conversion rate is, just for your amusement. Not difficult to do the math to get the percentage... (and as for the import charges, vat is 21% but for eBay .21*865 = 239...)

Anyway, it would be nice to get away from a yes-no discussion on the figures and push the thread towards valid alternatives. That will be of more use for readers

Is That eBay global shipping ?

When I sometimes think about buying from outside the eu, I have to consider whether it will still be worthwhile if UK customs and excise hit me for import duty and VAT (all of which is levied on goods PLUS shipping), plus the collection charge from the organisation who actually deliver the goods to my door.
    Adding 30% is generally a good guide for this, but it can be a bit of a lottery whether the goods are charged or not. One factor is the carrier used to send it - for instance I always get hit when the sender user dhl, but rarely if USps or say Japanpost).

EBay global shipping always seems wildly over the 30% I'd expect, but in your case it seems roughly correct

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    When I sometimes think about buying from outside the eu, I have to consider whether it will still be worthwhile if UK customs and excise hit me for import duty and VAT (all of which is levied on goods PLUS shipping), plus the collection charge from the organisation who actually deliver the goods to my door
    Good thought. What matters is the cost of the item when finally delivered, not the visible purchase price.

Re other venues for high-end items, Westlicht charges 20% buyer's and seller's premiums. The seller gets 80% of the hammer price, the buyer pays 120%. But Westlicht attracts the biggest spenders. It isn't clear that eBay does.

But the duties and fees are charged regardless of where you buy or how you pay, arent they?

Quote Originally Posted by kleinbatavia View Post
    Good day, the difference includes the ebay shipping charge for customs, as mentioned in the earlier post. What I'll do once I get home at the end of the week is post a few print screens for the amusement of those who somehow seem to doubt the figures. There's nothing to gain by making this up, I merely used it as an illustrative example, based on my latest experience. That said the thirty-something shipping fee was very good considering the lot included multiple lenses, a field camera and a bunch of bits and bobs. Alas, more once I'm home.
    I don't think anyone doubted your figures, just your rationale for placing blame. The import charge seems to take up the bulk of the difference between your bid and bottom line; how are eBay/PayPal responsible for that? Surely you knew you'd be paying duty on the purchase.