Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross and Vitali

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Ross and Vitali

There's another "innovator" out there in addition to that guy from Colorado working with a 9X18. Look out, all you ULFers!

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.html
    Brian Vuillemenot

Ross and Vitali

oh brother.

Ross and Vitali

On business, I recently spoke to an optical engineer who worked for Clifford Ross (the other "highest resolution" poser) who basically said that he has gobs of family money and connections. And a good publicist. I guess he had this guy test lenses for him for a few thousand a day.

Ross and Vitali

Too bad neither of these guys uses their great big cameras to take photos that are worth a damn. For really gorgeous ULF work, check out Massimo Vitali-- a member of this forum. His 11x14" work is simply incredible; he raises the bar on all the best LF color photographers in the world. His new book published by Steidl (available on Amazon but sent to me by a dear friend in Italy) is the most beautiful color photographic book I have ever seen. For any photographic book collectors out there, this is a must.

And by the way, the newest LF digital scanning backs from BetterLight (www.betterlight.com), when used along with the bitchin panning panoramic feature (which laces together multiple exposures), can produce digital images that will be WAYYY higher resolution than anything from a 9x18 camera. Check out their website and zoom in on the little detail of the Golden Gate Bridge, and see if that doesn't make you say "whoa," nonchalantly like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix when that other guy jumped over to the other building.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Ross and Vitali

Chris,
    Does Massimo Vitali have a web site? I shoot 11x14 B+W and would be interested in seeing his work. Thanks.

-Bruce

Ross and Vitali

Ross and Vitali

Chris, please tell me how is his work amazing. I have never seen color prints more washed out than those I have just seen on the monitor. I really hope it is a monitor thing.

Ross and Vitali

...I'm with Christian

Ross and Vitali

Never mind the washed out print, where's the content?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Ross and Vitali

On Massimo Vital's work, why are people jumping on him based on looking at a few pics on a website?
    I'm not sure he "raises the bar" for color large format work ... I think I'd still spend more time with Stephen Shore's or Mike Smith's work ... but the few pictures I saw on that site were very, very good. Certainly more subtlety and depth than I see in the camera club type images shown by most people who call themselves "large format photographers."
    Other than that, I'm not going to judge someone's printing abilities, color or otherwise, from a website.