Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ross and Vitali

Ross and Vitali

Ok:

I had another look using Jorge's advice and no, I see nothing noteworthy in these images.
    Fair enough, the good majority of my work is probably family album stuff but, unless someone explains it to me, I just think they are little more than snaps.
    Obviously I have no intention of belittling anyones work and if he/they are reading this I offer my unreserved apologies for any distress I may have caused.

Re: Ross and Vitali

I collaborate with Massimo Vitali and I make the scans from his negatives, postproduction etc..

Take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/

M

Retired physicist Graham Flint and his wife, Catherine Aves, pose with the custom-built high-resolution camera.
    'high-resolution' camera? Leica, Minox, etc. I suspect the lens on that camera is pretty low resolution.

One of Flint's three gigapixel cameras
    Excuse me, how big is a pixel? How tall is a tree? What is the distance between here and far away?

The pixels in my ten-yottapixel 8x10 camera are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by federico9001 View Post
    I collaborate with Massimo Vitali and I make the scans from his negatives, postproduction etc..

Take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/

M

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    'high-resolution' camera? Leica, Minox, etc. I suspect the lens on that camera is pretty low resolution.
    That particular camera is a surplus K-38 9x18 aerial photography camera, used by Graham Flint for the Gigapxl project.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    That particular camera is a surplus K-38 9x18 aerial photography camera, used by Graham Flint for the Gigapxl project.
    Link does not define the size of a pixel. Or the size of a tree or the distance from here-to-there. "Megapixel" is not a unit of resolution. It reads like advertizing jibberish. Are they selling something?

They have a large format camera. Hey I have one also, so do you. What is the big deal.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 7-Feb-2012 at 12:40.

You mean besides something as in, "my snapshot is really, really, really big, so it has more meaning than your snapshot," that sort of something? I thought he was chasing grant money. As for pixels-per-mm, try the technology page, where Flint discusses the Asymmagon.

edit: Oh, I see, the two guys behind this are optical engineers. Gigascapes has one of the two cameras built by them.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

How could anyone not "get" Vitali's work? Seriously. The guy photographs the most beautiful beaches in the world. The palette of the pictures makes a perfect compliment to the decor of your second home. It's some of the most accessible, easy to digest work out there.

I think that what bugged Jorge about Vitali and other "print it big" photographers is that the "wow" factor comes from the print being huge.

How does Vitali compare with Adams? Beach scene vs Moonrise? One is, "oh, that's nice." The other is, "oh, yeah!" One is just about any good day at the beach, and the other is a chance, unrepeatable happenstance.

The big prints should, instead, be compared to a Kodak Colorama. Did those have brilliant content, or did they sort of look like vacation snapshots?

None of these gets close to a Kodak Colorama's size, though. 18ft x 60ft, and at the last Kodak was using cropped 35mm. So, if 11x14 is used, then a print 178ft x 593ft should be made. That would be about nine stories high and two city blocks long.

So the real problem is that these prints are too small! Ross, Flint, and Vitali are all a bunch of wussy pikers!

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    How could anyone not "get" Vitali's work? Seriously. The guy photographs the most beautiful beaches in the world. The palette of the pictures makes a perfect compliment to the decor of your second home. It's some of the most accessible, easy to digest work out there.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller
    How does Vitali compare with Adams? Beach scene vs Moonrise? One is, "oh, that's nice." The other is, "oh, yeah!" One is just about any good day at the beach, and the other is a chance, unrepeatable happenstance.
    ... couldn't disagree more! This might put a few things into perspective:
    http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/extended...assimo_vitali/

Yep, not all of his work is equally striking, but when he nails it, he really does produce extraordinary pictures, imo.