Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner mistakes

Unhappy Beginner mistakes

I am a total beginner at developing my 4x5 film. So far I have developed a couple of 4x5 Ilford FP4 sheets, using Ilford chemicals. ID-11 stock solution, Ilfostop and Rapidfixer. Here is my problem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamonix 20150801.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	137878
    Another one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150725-ID11-002.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	137879

You can notice the middle area has got a kind of haze compared to the rest.
    Is it possible that i am havin a light leak in my darkroom?
    I work in a cellar and 10m behind me there is a server with LEDs. it is not facing me in any way, but maybe there is weak light being reflected. the server is behind a dark dimmed glass, i don't know if this is the problem.

I developed the sheets on different days, one at a time. the trays are about 4x8". i developed at 20°C, 7:15 min, constant agitation, lifting and lowering clockwise every side. after 7:15 i put the sheet in a 30 sec. stop bath, then 3 min. fixer. after that i rinsed the film off and put it in a 5x7" tray filled with water. i changed the water about 5 times within 30 min.
    I have an office printer/scanner where i develop the film. the immediate inspection on the flatbed scanner does not show this fog,but maybe it is simply because that office scanner is not suitable for the negative. i have the impression that it occurs after a day or two. Could it be that i did not wash out the fixer properly?

it is so sad when you can't wait to develop a shot and find out you ruined it.

Re: Beginner mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Draganski View Post
    ...it is so sad when you can't wait to develop a shot and find out you ruined it.
    Welcome to my world

I almost wonder if you just didn't fix thoroughly. 3 minutes may not be long enough. I don't think it is insufficient washing. Perhaps try washing one of the negs for a couple minutes then back into fix for 3-4 minutes, wash as normal, dry, and scan again.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I also think it has not been fixed long enough...

Here is a test for your fixer; Take a undeveloped strip of B/W film, (35mm is fine) and put it into the fixer (room light is fine), and note how long it takes for the film to clear... (It should take about 1-2 minutes in a rapid fixer/5 minutes in a hypo fixer) In practical processing, the film will be fixed for twice those times... Like Randy said, those developed films can be re-fixed, but it will take a long time, like 10 or 15 minutes, then rewash and dry...

Don't give up!!! You are very close!!!!!

Steve K

The swirly nature of it suggests a processing problem. Take one and try a few more minutes in the fix, then wash, and see if it goes away.

Nice pictures. (The fogging may actually make them more interesting. :-)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I agree that refixing may help. They just seem to have "that look". Rapid fix (Ilford) when made 1:4 is 2-4 minutes BUT did you make it 1:4 and is it fresh? I haven't used FP4, so I don't know if it's one that needs longer fixing times as well. For TMax and Delta, 5-8 minutes is safer.

As long as you rewash sufficiently afterwards, refixing won't hurt.

I agree with those who point to fixing issues.

Don't beat yourself up. We ALL mess up at the beginning... and much later, too.
    Your subject framing is encouraging. Tech issues are far easier to defeat than bad judgement.
    Welcome!

Thank you all for the replies. I have put these two in the fixer again, for about 10 minutes. Rinsed and washed them, they will dry until tomorrow. The fixer is two weeks old, i developed 6 sheets with it. 2 turned out really good, no fogging. I will try to remember what i did differently. I can only recall washing the good negatives in running water, instead of changing water every couple if minutes. If the negs are under- washed indeed, there should be no improvement in the hazy areas?
    Thanks, dragan

Quote Originally Posted by Draganski View Post
    Is it possible that i am havin a light leak in my darkroom?
    I work in a cellar and 10m behind me there is a server with LEDs. it is not facing me in any way, but maybe there is weak light being reflected. the server is behind a dark dimmed glass, i don't know if this is the problem.
    I don't understand why you don't do something about the potential problem. Just buy a piece of black cloth and place it over the glass while you are handling undeveloped film. How hard can that be?

Problem solved, re-fixing the picture removed the haze! Thank you all for your advice! @terry: it is not my server, so messing around that is no option.