Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy From Tyler, Texas

Re: New Guy From Tyler, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by toddaaron View Post
    Thanks!

That may come in handy sooner than I thought - I picked up a camera today and I can't find much information about it out on the internet.

Attachment 137818
    At first glance I wonder if it is a Deardorf.

It would help us if you had other photos, especially close-ups of any identifying marks.

What size is the film back? From the size of the knobs I suspect this might be a 5x7" camera? The back seems to be too small for 8x10.

What are the lens specs? From the JPG, the side of the lens seems to indicate it is clean and modern.

The corners of the bellows look worn. Have you tried the old lightbulb in the bellows in a darkened room trick to see if there are pinholes? If there are I suspect it might be easier if the whole bellows were replaced. If that is the case, there are a couple folks on FleaBay that offer the service. And (I believe) there is one in England? Folks with more knowledge will certainly add to my poor knowledge on the subject.

Did any accessories come with it? Possibly film holders or a tripod or a back to hold other sizes of film.

Terry

BTW, I know Texas quite well. While I was in the US Air Force from June 1963 to December 1965 I was stationed in San Antonio then San Angelo then Waco. In 1975 I spent three months in Houston creating over 100 television commercials for the UHF TV station. Do you know my friend Crystal who lives in Temple?

I'm in Tyler, so don't hesitate to get in touch. Looks like a baby Deardorff or something close.

Welcome!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    I'm in Tyler, so don't hesitate to get in touch. Looks like a baby Deardorff or something close.
    Hey Robert! Thats awesome! I definitely would like to meet. I just looked you up on fb and sent you a friend request.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    At first glance I wonder if it is a Deardorf.

It would help us if you had other photos, especially close-ups of any identifying marks.

What size is the film back? From the size of the knobs I suspect this might be a 5x7" camera? The back seems to be too small for 8x10.

What are the lens specs? From the JPG, the side of the lens seems to indicate it is clean and modern.

The corners of the bellows look worn. Have you tried the old lightbulb in the bellows in a darkened room trick to see if there are pinholes? If there are I suspect it might be easier if the whole bellows were replaced. If that is the case, there are a couple folks on FleaBay that offer the service. And (I believe) there is one in England? Folks with more knowledge will certainly add to my poor knowledge on the subject.

Did any accessories come with it? Possibly film holders or a tripod or a back to hold other sizes of film.

Terry

BTW, I know Texas quite well. While I was in the US Air Force from June 1963 to December 1965 I was stationed in San Antonio then San Angelo then Waco. In 1975 I spent three months in Houston creating over 100 television commercials for the UHF TV station. Do you know my friend Crystal who lives in Temple?
    It is a 4x5. I got two film holders with it. Aside from the camera with lens that was all I got.

I tried to find more about it online and I came across an ad for the very same camera from 2010, and that guy said he was told by someone that it was an "Inka". I have not been able to find any pics of anything with that name that looks like this, so I am thinking that may or may not be accurate.

I have looked all over the camera for any identifying marks or a serial number and can't find anything at all. Also didn't see anywhere that looked like any sort of identifying plate or anything was missing.
    Any idea where these might have been more likely to be marked?

The lens board is made from a different wood than the rest. It may be home made.

The Lens is a 210mm f/5.6 Caltar II-N. According to the "Introduction to Lenses for Large Format Cameras, 2nd Edition" ( http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/ ) it is made by Rodenstock.
    The Lens appears to work correctly. It has some dust inside that needs to be cleaned.

Here are a few other pics from the ads...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera back - ground glass.jpg   camera folded.jpg   camera_top.jpg   from a 2010 for sale ad.jpg  

Ok, I found it!

It appears to be a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5... or I also found matching cameras under Calumet Nagaoka 4x5, and just Nagaoka 45. I am assuming this was a Calumet Nagaoka which would explain the Caltar lens. From the Introduction to Lenses for Large Format Cameras, 2nd Edition - "Perhaps the most well known private label lenses are the Caltars, sold exclusively by Calumet Photographic."

Looks like they made two variations, an earlier and a later version. Mine is the earlier one with less movements.

I guess that solves that.

Be sure to check the bellows for light leaks. One of the pictures shows that the bellows is a tad warn.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Ha! I looked at your pictures and realised that is an old Nagaoka, then read your next post...

Nice camera. I doubt it was sold with that lens, but that is a nice portrait lens. You can do most anything you want with that. I think you are only missing front shift, and if you absolutely need that you could mount the camera at 90 degrees and use rise, and I think I have never used shift for landscape (its often useful for architecture). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Ha! I looked at your pictures and realised that is an old Nagaoka, then read your next post...

Nice camera. I doubt it was sold with that lens, but that is a nice portrait lens. You can do most anything you want with that. I think you are only missing front shift, and if you absolutely need that you could mount the camera at 90 degrees and use rise, and I think I have never used shift for landscape (its often useful for architecture). Good luck!
    Awesome! Thanks Tim!