Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I transfer programs and files to new computer?

Re: How do I transfer programs and files to new computer?

Depending on any restrictions of your email, you could always email them to yourself. If you are on anything other then windoz, you can do a tar compress and email them.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)

Tim Sandstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    Depending on any restrictions of your email, you could always email them to yourself. If you are on anything other then windoz, you can do a tar compress and email them.

Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems(retired)
    even gmail has limits on attachment size, 8Gb if I remember.

Preston Birdwell

I wouldn't use e-mail due to security issues and slow upload speed.

I think your best bet is to copy the folders or files you want transfer to a USB thumb drive, over a home network if you have one, or purchase an external USB hard drive.
    If you have an external hard drive, copy the files from your old box to it. Next, hook it up to the new computer and then transfer the files to your new drive. Once you're done, you can use the external drive for a system backup.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

If you have an Apple, install the old hard drive as a second hard drive in the new computer before you turn on the computer for the first time. OS 10 will start up and ask it you want to port an older drives contents to the new computer and point to the old hard drive. Answer "yes" and the computer will do the work. When the process is OS will tell you which software needs updates and where to get the downloads for the updates, and which software is obsolete and needs to be replace. Very easy. I have done it.

If you are using a PC then you are just so screwed. Poor soul.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

If you've got an Apple, the initial setup of the new one will ask if you have a time-machine backup or older Apple computer from which you'd like to transfer your users, applications and programs. It even worked when (ages ago) migrating from a Powerbook to MacBook Pro (different processor types).

Windows does have a migration assistant, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive. You could use an external drive and backup utility to transfer your data, but you'll still need to re-install all your programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    I'm getting a new computer soon and was wondering how do I transfer all of my Photoshop photos and Photoshop itself over to my new computer.Will I have to reinstall my Epson 3800 printer into the new computer as well??I hope this isn't a big ordeal.
    I use iTunes or 'image capture' to get my iPhone pictures from one computer to the next.

Either OneDrive or iCloud can be the intermediary for file transfer. Great for accessingyour files from multiple computers.
    Bill McMannis

First, download one of the many programs that will scan your current machine and report back serial numbers for licensed products. Keep that list handy.

Second, as mentioned elsewhere, take the time to remove bloatware (generally useless s/w the manufacturer is paid to place on the machine).

Third, run both spybot and malware bytes on both hard drives (new and old). The "old" so you don't transfer anything to the "new". The "new" because regardless of what you did before, there will be crap from the bloatware.

Fourth, purchase a usb external enclosure for your "old" hard drive (about $15-25). That will allow you to transfer your files and provide an ongoing backup. If you need a hard drive to sell your old computer, buy one and reinstall windows (if that's what your running).