Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Newton ring

Problem with Newton ring

Please anyone help me .. I've been trying to find an Anti-Newton ring spray, but got nothing..

I live in Chicago USA. I already checked at Helix and Calumet here .. They said Jobo was stop product line for this thing for long time already...

Why I do need is rear stuff?... I print 4x5 on negative carrier with glasses. One side is an Anti-Newton glass, but another one is just typical glass. I checked many ways.. flipping the films for both side.., but still has it.

Do we have any trick during developing films or any "DIY" chemical for Anti- Newton ring.. In case of if you guys know where I can buy in US.. Please tell me.

(PS. I found one web form England, they have a Teternal product, but too far away)

Eric Woodbury

Problem with Newton ring

Never having used glassed carriers, might I suggest you go glassless (and ringless). I print 5x7 without glass.

If you are using a coldlight, then remove the plexiglass diffusor from the light source and replace the top glass with a piece of white plexi. This works, too.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Octogenarian

Problem with Newton ring

Hi Varakan,

Is the Anti- Newton glass in your negative carrier on the top, or on the bottom? The Anti-Newton glass should be on the top, positioned so that the shiny side of the film ( the base side) is in contact with the textured side of the Anti Newton glass. There is no reason for you to need Anti-Newton spray if the proper surfaces are in the proper position.

Problem with Newton ring

Some films, like Tmax 100, are smooth enough on the emulsion side that I get rings sometimes. I usually find that cleaning both glass surfaces thoroughly solves most issues. Dust and crud create uneven pressure on the film so you get rings.

Problem with Newton ring

I think this is where George was trying to send you. These materials are also available in smaller kits from Freestyle and B&H.

pam@aztek.com

www.aztek.com
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Problem with Newton ring

Thank you for all answers,

I use glassed carriers, and the top one is Anti - Newton ring glass.. No problem with the top one . For the emulsion side, Lower one is just typical glass. That was the main problem for Newton ring effecting.

As Tom said, I also use Tmax 100 loaded sheet, and seem you're right for super fine grind of Tmax 100.

George, you link didn't work . Please send me a new one.

So Eric, do you think the glassed carrier is disadvantage? Should be non glasses? ... Maybe is the answer for better than keeps looking for Anti-Newton ring spray

Please answer me again.
    Thank you

Varakan.

Problem with Newton ring

By the way, I've been useing Saunders 4500-II B&W Diffusion

Thank you for every help.

Varakan.

Problem with Newton ring

I've been using Saunders 4500-II B&W Diffusion

Very interesting.

I got one of those enlargers last year and the glass carrier (a new one) was shimmed too high so that the glass put too much pressure on the negative and caused rings.

Anyway, to fix it, I had to take out the clear glass (not the anti-newton glass). Just unscrew the silver metal strips that hold the clear glass down. I removed the sticky tape that they used to shim the glass, then screwed the glass back in without the shim tape. I haven't had any issues since (except for the cleaning thing I mentioned above). The glass moves around slightly now, but that's of no importance to functionality.

Of course, this may not be your problem, but it might be worth a try, if you think it might reduce pressure on the negative. Save the shim tape strips in case you decide to replace them.

Problem with Newton ring

"I got one of those enlargers last year and the glass carrier (a new one) was shimmed too high so that the glass put too much pressure on the negative and caused rings. "

Mannn, You gave me a bit hit of answer. I feel so, I'll take the tape down. Let's see what happen.

Talk about the Glass negative carrier, Do you think, it is the best solution for printing to keep film fate as much as you can for the matter of sharpness, or with out glass to get the better tone?...What do you choose?

With or with out glass? everyone please share opinion ..please.

Cheers.
    Varakan.