Thread: 9.5" Velostigmat Series II - mounting options

funkadelic

9.5" Velostigmat Series II - mounting options

I've seen this lens offered in barrel or in Studio shutter. Mine is the f4 version with diffusion control and is in the Studio shutter. I'll be honest. I despise these shutters, but I really like this lens. I've not had good experiences with these shutters in the past. On this sample, I have a Wollensak "Let the user judge" front cap and have used it as a barrel lens instead of with the shutter. I'm contemplating the thought of this in a non-Packard shutter that will sync with flash.
    What are some shutters that you have seen this successfully mounted in, without losing any stops due to shutter size limitation? Copal 3 maybe? It looks like it would be tight, if possible at all. Maybe an Alphax?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: 9.5" Velostigmat Series II - mounting options

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I'm contemplating the thought of this in a non-Packard shutter that will sync with flash.
    What are some shutters that you have seen this successfully mounted in, without losing any stops due to shutter size limitation? Copal 3 maybe? It looks like it would be tight, if possible at all. Maybe an Alphax?
    The problem is, the studio shutter has male threads and the cells made to fit it have female threads inside the tubes. Other shutters have female threads, and the male-threaded cells screw into them. So you'll be trying to mount female-to-female threads, which doesn't work, regardless of recent Supreme Court marriage rulings...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

funkadelic

Tim,
    Thanks. I had forgotten that link.

Mark, As long as there are guzintas and guzouttas, there will most likely be an adapter.
    On a side note, you should watch Requiem For a Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I've seen this lens offered in barrel or in Studio shutter. Mine is the f4 version with diffusion control and is in the Studio shutter.
    Are you sure it is an f/4? All the Velostigmat Series II lenses I have seen are f/4.5.

I was lucky enough to find one mounted in a BetaX #4 shutter. The Alphax #4 is the same size so that would also be an option. Both the Betax and Alphax shutters have lots of aperture blades. But as others have stated, you would need to get some machining done to get the correct gender for the threads and spacing correct.

-Darren

funkadelic

Yes, thanks for the typo correction. It is 4.5.