Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

Re: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

I believe the "traditional" way of doing this was to "take" a picture of any likely looking couple, and then aggressively hound then for payment. If they did pay, the picture you didn't actually take earlier would turn out to be faulty, so an actual image would be made...

I'm not suggesting you do this, of course!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Late to the party, but to the OP as it relates to Impossible film, you can offer something a little more novel and address the image stability/drying issue by doing an emulsion lift onto paper. These make really nice pieces, and the way the emulsion swells, you actually get something closer to 9x11. Looks nice on 11x14 paper.

Also, if you're going to do field work, you might want to look for a manual processor. Calumet made (or branded) these, although they command ridiculous prices on eBay -- two or three times the electric ones.

Just some thoughts...
    Thanks for the advice! I've looked at the emulsion lift and it does look very nice (and probably the only viable way to present the prints to the customer.) I was looking at the Calumet processors till I found out that the cheaper electric processors actually come with a crank to use when electricity is unavailable.

I played with fuji fp100 last year and a 4x5 old loôking camera in a park
    I asked 10€ for a shot, so every 1,2 shots my whole pack was paid...
    I told a friend to do so in front of his galerie, and pin the polas on a wooden board.
    Believe me, tourists, lovers, brother and sisters were fond of this stuff.

You have to keep it simple, easy but overall FUN , play it like you dońt know if it will be good when you peel off the two layers, and put a large smile on your face!!
    It was crazy every day to shoot as much pola!!

I have an Instax wide shot from a street photographer that was taken ten years ago. I was in Vancouver with some friends for a trip before I got married and he snapped a group photo of us. I think I paid $10 or maybe $20 for it and it's a great thing to have. Before everyone had smartphones and Instagram it's the one memory from that trip.

The 8x10 is a very cool idea but the price, as others have mentioned, is steep. I think you'd want to price yourself to break even on 2-3 shots per box just to account for wasted shots or the person not liking it or whatever. So at $200 USD a box you'd be asking $70-100 per shot which is a tough sell on the street.

I've always thought the perfect thing to do this with would be Polaroid Type 55 or, some day, New 55. You sell them a print for $20 and you get to keep the negative.

Keep it simple. Notice Larry Kellog's photograph ( Louis is a mentor of mine). No back drop or change of clothes.. Believe me I have had folks stop me to ask what I was doing with my rig. No back drop change of clothes just a interesting photograph from a vintage camera. The Fuji FP-3000B is wonderful film. The way I look at it I am able to photograph day or night...
    Anthony: Crown Graphic