Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

Re: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    As mentioned, it's not a film, it's a paper. And it's not really a direct positive paper, either, though it's being promoted as such. It requires reversal processing, which is not likely to be something you're going to want to do on the fly. And based on what they've shown so far, results are likely to show the same excess contrast and problems with highlight and/or shadow detail that are typical of paper used in camera.

If you want to learn more, there's a link to the Kickstarter campaign in the discussion thread here.
    I agree, I think the relative immediacy of the IP film makes it a more viable option. Does anyone know if you need a license to just plonk your camera down somewhere and charge for photos?

Quote Originally Posted by brightmatter View Post
    I agree, I think the relative immediacy of the IP film makes it a more viable option. Does anyone know if you need a license to just plonk your camera down somewhere and charge for photos?
    Surely that will depend on local laws and regulations.

What bothers me about the IP 8x10, at least gen 1, is that there is a strong recommendation to peel it and let it dry for 24 hrs, then reassemble. This is the way I've used it - my understanding is that otherwise in weeks-months it can discolor and crack, which would not make for happy customers. It's worth checking on before you commit - I'm not sure if this applies to the gen 2 (which I'll try when I finish my stock of gen 1, but I don't use it quickly because of this issue). However, if you have to do some sort of maintenance after shooting, this is going to make the project much less practical.

Cheers!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill L. View Post
    What bothers me about the IP 8x10, at least gen 1, is that there is a strong recommendation to peel it and let it dry for 24 hrs, then reassemble. This is the way I've used it - my understanding is that otherwise in weeks-months it can discolor and crack, which would not make for happy customers. It's worth checking on before you commit - I'm not sure if this applies to the gen 2 (which I'll try when I finish my stock of gen 1, but I don't use it quickly because of this issue). However, if you have to do some sort of maintenance after shooting, this is going to make the project much less practical.

Cheers!
    Bill
    This is a problem with Impossible 8x10. Because the developer uses water as a solvent, the image will degrade quickly (within weeks) if it is not dried in some way. Impossible recommends storing it in an airtight envelope with dessicant, or peeling the image as Bill L. describes above. It is true of both first and second generation Impossible film.

In my experience, you've got to charge $40-50 to make any money at all shooting 8x10 on the street or at a festival, and most people aren't prepared to spend that much money on a whim. I've sold tons of Fuji instant pictures (3x4 and 4x5) for $10 and $15, but the few times I've tried 8x10 I didn't get much interest. It's fun to shoot, though!

I'm hoping that the folks at New55 can work out their technical issues. That film, even at 4 or 5 bucks a sheet, will be great for street instant photography.

I had a dream of making 4x5 portraits of people in the downtowns of small towns across the country. I have notched, numbered holders, and could take names and addresses and later send them PT prints. I was going to absorb the cost because, hey! I like to photograph, and it would be a really fun project.

I learned, sadly, that America's small towns are mostly deserted. Dead. No one there to photograph on the street.

There seems to be more life here in Maine, so I may still try it. It's on the list with the other million things I have to do.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

There's no place like home.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I learned, sadly, that America's small towns are mostly deserted. Dead. No one there to photograph on the street.
    so photograph that

that seems a more telling portrait of America right now anyway

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    so photograph that
    I did. Awfully sad pictures.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by bruce barlow View Post
    i did. Awfully sad pictures.
    lol
    Tin Can

Location, location, location. While I was unsuccessful with wetplate in Arizona (and others have been too), another spot may work great. I see you are in London, it's a totally different scene there than New York city, and certainly desert towns near the border of Mexico. I have a friend in Manchester, John Brewer, that works as a fulltime photographer putting on alternative and wetplate workshops. You could never do that here.

So I recommend you start small. Get a 4x5 Speed Graphic or something else that you can shoot smaller instant film in (I'm assuming there is at least SOME peel apart 4x5 available today, but could be wrong. No matter, find a way to sell yourself, and your process. That's what you're selling, not the pictures. Make it different enough where some people think "that's better than a cell phone selfie...." If it works for you with smaller/cheaper cameras, then think about moving up to 8x10. Or if you must do 8x10 from the start, don't think of it as money making. Think of it as creating a body of work, and pass the hat around. That works well in London too.