Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry-On Worst Case Scenarios

Carry-On Worst Case Scenarios

If you'll recall Frank, I advised you to take the Rollei. ;-)

Michael:

We can't spoil the fun for you! Go to:

www.crumplerusa.com

Look under Messenger Bags. Enjoy the ride!

Michael E. Gordon

" BIG STRONG TOP OF THE RANGE GURU GENITAL CONNECTION DEVICE ALSO FOR STORAG (sic)"

Huh?

Hey, it's a good bag! It's a messenger bag that you can add a photo insert to. I've carried it on day hikes and it's surprisingly comfortable. The weight is well distributed across the chest and against your back.

Crumplers really are about the triumph of copywriting aren't they?

Once you get RA, the thought of a messenger bag or Domke style PJ bag, or any sort of shoulder bag hanging off your shoulder is scary. Even a $500 Billingham. I'm a backpack man from here on out (even if you have to set them down in the mud...) - my shoulders are now only slightly and equally bruised, but at least I don't have the semi-permanent crease and hunch from the old Domke days.

True that you might be able to squeeze an Arca into a regualtion bag, but I guess I'm reaching the juncture where I either become a two-camera man... some little guy for travel, and a big, comfortable hawg for outta the car...

Jim - as for the Rollei, I sold the good one I had and have bought two since, trying to match it. I must of had a magical one, cause these news ones just don't have "it." I am gumb, fumb, dumb...

Pisser about the Rollei, Frank.

Interesting. The specs on the LowePro web site for the Pro Trekker (the one I use) are dead wrong. They say exterior dimensions are 21W x 15D x 23.5H. No way is it 21 inches wide! Mine, fully loaded, measures 12Wx11Dx23.5H, which is pretty close to the carry-on limit, and if you didn’t overstuff it like I do, you can trim a few inches off to make it legal. I’ve flown a number of times with mine and they let me through without even a raised eyebrow (TSA, though, has a field day with the contents). It won’t fit under the seat easily, but will squeeze into an overhead.

FWIW, here's an interesting compilation of carry-on limits for a number of airlines: http://www.savewealth.com/travel/tips/carryon/

I find no difficulty in packing a 4x5 field camera to carry on US airlines, for both domestic and internation flights. The only thing that I check is my tripod. Most US airlines follow the FAA limits and allow a carryon of up to 9 x 14 x 22 inches and 40 pounds, plus a personal item of up to briefcase size. The TSA allows any size that fits into the x-ray machine. There is a special TSA rule that allows a photographer an extra bag, but the airline may not allow this -- I have never tried.

I use a roll-on that is about 9 x 13 x 18, smaller than most. In this I fit a Linhof Technikardan, up to 5 lenses, spotmeter, filters, ball head, bag bellows and boxes of film. I put my film holders, book and misc stuff in a much smaller canves style briefcase bag that qualifies as my "personal item". The camera is in a plastic bag and the lenses are in lens wraps. There are no interior partitions. The weight is well under 40 pounds.

On small commuter flights the carryon gets checked at the side of the plane, and similarly returned at the end of the flight. There is less opportunity for theft and the handlers seem to treat these bags more carefully. Using a standard roll-on bag doesn't shout "expensive photographic equipment".

I check my tripod inside of my suitcase. Check well before your trip that it will fit. In some cases you might have to take it apart.

If you want to do LF photography, fly a US airline if possible and bring your equipment. If you want a camera case or back pack that is sold for photography and it won't fit the carryon dimensions, put your clothes into it and check it. You can use different packing arrangement for the flight versus for when you are taking photographs. Some cameras might have to be disassembled to fit.

The only problem I ever had was with my small tool kit, which has several small screwdrivers and an allen hex wrench. These have to go into the checked baggage.

If you want to use your LF equipement, then use it. Check with your insurance agent for what is covered. You might want to buy supplementary insurance. Generally the airlines do not cover photographic equipment.

i shoot video, stills, and bring along a mobile edit studio with 3 cams.
    i travel 2-3 times per month and have used the portabrace items below.
    only on very small commuter flights do i need to check the large rolling
    bag at the gate. i have never had any problems of any kind, other than security checks. the smaller bag fits on top, over the handle, and holds a GL2 and Digital, SLR and laptop.

The wheeled one holds an XL1s, lenses, and additional hardware

http://www.adorama.com/PBBK2L.html http://www.adorama.com/PBWPC1.html

tripods, lighting, cloths, underwater gear in this as checked baggage

http://www.ebags.com/high_sierra/a_t...?modelid=17335

I have a small rollaboard, which does not indicate that it is heavy like a backpack over your shoulder, plus a couple of taxfree shopping plastic bags which hold my film. Secruity and airline personnel do not object to a taxfree bag or two.

My 4x5 or 6x9 stays in the Phototrekker which goes in a sturdy Northface duffle along with clothing. The 8x10 monorail stays in the Supertrekker which goes into a hard-shell blue plastic Samsonite along with the Gitzo 1548 tripod.

In general, I think that you Americans' love story with carryons is coming to an end - might as well accept it and get suitable bags for checked luggage.