Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry-On Worst Case Scenarios

Carry-On Worst Case Scenarios

$400 for a carry-on sized bag? Great Caesar's Ghost! Those bags are expensive...

Mark:

I agree, but if I am SI and sending out a photographer with a Canon 400 2.8L IS and a couple of 1D MkII bodies, I've got $15K-$20K of equipment in the bag... so what's $400?

It isn't the size but the weight. Some of the major airlines can be very legalistic about weight limits on carry on bags.

I have been told Quantas had an overhead break during a rough landing and they will make you check anything above their weight limit of 15# (or less). Last I looked British Airways had a carry on limit of 8 pounds.

I have regulation roll aboards but they weigh almost 8# empty.

On our last trip to Australia on Qantas, I was able to buy the lightest cheapest camera bags that I could find at Target (we took the to the grocery dept to weigh them) and packed my wife's underwater gear in them wrapped in bubble pack. By that time, with a couple of paper backs to read on the plane, we were at the weight limit and I had to leave my underwater video gear at home (they broke a houseing rated to 300' last time I checked it.)

With my old roll aboard I had foam cut so that if I absolutely had to give it up, it was packed well enought to protect the equipment (sometimes on island hops there is not way to take anything into the cabin).

When you have to pack to meet weight restrictions you are then not packed well enough to let anyone else handle your bag.

If someone has a solution other than not flying, I would be very happy to hear it.

(P.S. I have flown over 1.5 million miles in my life so this isn't "drawing a trend from a single data point".)

P.S.

Your limit is the worst of either the TSA or the worst airline that you are flying.

In our case going to the Solomons we were business class so were allowed two carry ons but TSA only allowed one carry on and a "personal item" (just try to get a defination of that!). Basically it is what the most unreasonable buerocrat or airline employee says it is.

That's a good point, Neal. Easy Jet in Europe had a 10 pounds limit very strictly controled. Even a simple case not for photography equipment has 6 pounds easily - just so that you can put a pair of handkerchiefs inside... Oversized baggage checked-in filled with foam and your camera secured against moving in it - the only solution I know.

I knew a couple of women that used to put their photo gear in plastic ice chests with a hasp and pad lock and lots of duct tape. No one would ever suspect that they held thousands of dollars worth of photo gear and the thickness of the walls protected the gear against even the worst handeling. However, now that you can't lock your case I am much more uncomfortable with checking gear that is necessary for the vacation.

If you gear is lost or stolen it is insured but tell me what you do about the time off work and the thousands of dollars that you spend on an underwater diving vacation where the main purpose was to take photographs and your gear isn't there when you show up???

Want to see a picture of me standing in Red Square in January with no overcoat?

(Some boats have rental gear but it is very limited and subject to prior rental.) I know that this is large format but the problem is exactly the same.

My wife wants to take an underwater photo course in Caymans. If she did that I would want to used large format to photograph the island. I can't figure out how to get both my gear and hers to the island safely.

I would love to take my Linhof and 6 lenses but if I go at all I am sure I will end up with a Crown and one or two slow light lenses. ( My crown is mint and I really wouldn't want to lose it either.)

I thought that the TSA had a new regulation that allows professional photographers to carry one camera bag, in addition to the items allowed for other passengers. Also, you can put a lot of gear in a bag if you remove absolutely all the liners and dividers. Since you'll be the only one handling the bag, this shouldn't be a problem even if your lenses are rubbing against each other.

I've carried on three different back packs over the years, including the second largest of the Lowe Trekker series. Never had any problems as long as the pack would fit in an overhead compartment (and the Trekker did but just barely). I've never had any airline check the weight.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Michael E. Gordon

Mr. Goldfarb: just how does one pronounce "Fux Deluxe"?

I've been using the large Lightware trunk case for the past 4-5 flights and it works great, but you really need a SUV or mini-van rental - it is too big for a Buick-Ford sedan trunk. Plus, while I haven't yet had a problem, I hate the idea of inspectors repacking the case improperly - a lot of my gear is delicate, especially if you put it away wrong.

When we went to China (to adopt) I just took a D-70 and two primes, not even a laptop (just bought more CF cards...) and it was really, really a pleasure to go through security - but damn, I often wished I had a real camera with me!