Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to go in NYC

Re: Where to go in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Then you better check Washington, DC if you want to see an awful lot of lawyers as well!
    Probably true. The difference is that the lawyers in NYC practice law. The lawyers in Washington are an even lower life form - politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Have you ever actually tried telling a cop in NYC the law?.... Hah!

Seriously I've been threatened with arrest just by aiming the lens in the direction of police.

Good luck!
    Really? I've found the NYC cops to be among the friendliest and most helpful I've ever encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Probably true. The difference is that the lawyers in NYC practice law. The lawyers in Washington are an even lower life form - politicians.
    Except both my brother and his daughter our DC lawyers and neither are politicians. In fact, my brother was recently appointed to the Ethics Committee of the USA Olympic Committee.

NYC loves tourists and their money. So the cops are told to be friendly although I think most do that anyway. Just don't set up your tripod where people moving passed might trip over it. You don't want to be responsible for someone hurting themselves, never mind lawyers. If someone tells you to move, so move. No big deal. NY's a big place. Go to another spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    I've worked this city for a long, long time and had no issues at all -- in fact I've had the police move their cruiser out of the way of a shot in midtown when I asked. In reality the city is a great place to shoot and most folks will just leave you alone or actually be really helpful, including the police.
    Ditto! Been working the streets in Manhattan for about twenty years and have never ever been hassled for using a tripod. (Working the streets of Paris, however, a very different story...Once I had 2 bureaucratic women screaming at me in French that I didn't understand because I was using a tripod. A helpful man tried to explain to them that it was okay, and he so pissed them off that they called in the cops.)

Brooklyn bridge park is where I've been shooting lately. 8x 10 huge tripod. No complaints. Just a lot of friendly conversation with locals and tourists
    Nik