Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in NYC

Re: Where to go in NYC

U
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yup, this is still the case and I've been hassled quite a few times, I was however once able to convince one officer that it was OK so long as I balanced a single pole leg on my toe, and did not extend the other two using my tripod as a mono pod, by keeping it on my toe I was within my own personal perimeter and therefore was not "risking others lives from tripping and hurting themselves" the world is a strange and frustrating place, we now have to look out for klutzes who can't watch what they're doing and instead are using their cell phones and not paying attention to their surroundings, and win a trip they blame us for hurting themselves, ruining our good time, with their stupidity. Anyway yea this still happens all the time. I never heard anything about needing a permit for a public park, I don't think they could stop you if you were just shooting hand held, it's kind of ridiculous when everyone has cell phones anyway, but if that's true, it's a shame, and another way for the city to make a buck no doubt.

OK I'm bordering on political here so I will stop.

Bob, unfortunately this definitely falls under the tripod isn't allowed rule, and there's no place where you would be able to set up a large format camera near the flat iron building unfortunately. Unless you were able to gain access to somebody's apartment and could shoot out of their window somehow I suppose.
    Then read this

http://www.nycgovparks.org/permits/f...oto-guidelines

bdkphoto

Yup, this is still the case and I've been hassled quite a few times, I was however once able to convince one officer that it was OK so long as I balanced a single pole leg on my toe, and did not extend the other two using my tripod as a mono pod, by keeping it on my toe I was within my own personal perimeter and therefore was not "risking others lives from tripping and hurting themselves" the world is a strange and frustrating place, we now have to look out for klutzes who can't watch what they're doing and instead are using their cell phones and not paying attention to their surroundings, and win a trip they blame us for hurting themselves, ruining our good time, with their stupidity. Anyway yea this still happens all the time. I never heard anything about needing a permit for a public park, I don't think they could stop you if you were just shooting hand held, it's kind of ridiculous when everyone has cell phones anyway, but if that's true, it's a shame, and another way for the city to make a buck no doubt.

OK I'm bordering on political here so I will stop.

Bob, unfortunately this definitely falls under the tripod isn't allowed rule, and there's no place where you would be able to set up a large format camera near the flat iron building unfortunately. Unless you were able to gain access to somebody's apartment and could shoot out of their window somehow I suppose.
    The laws passed a few years ago actually ALLOW cameras and tripod on the streets of NYC without permits. The examples that Terence cite - Lincoln Center is private property, and Bryant Park is a public/private trust that does require permit for tripods at all times. Here are the actual regulations -

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...s_QA_final.pdf

Bob posted the link to the parks regulations.

The real moral of the story is that if you want to shoot using a tripod without really worrying about being harassed, get out of manhattan. There are some great views in Long Island City (Queens) and some really interesting places in outer brooklyn, and there just aren't as many people. As far as green spaces, head to prospect park in Brooklyn--it doesn't have the cache of central park, but it has way fewer people, and way fewer tourists.

The laws are loose enough that if you're blocking people from walking with your tripod, someone is going to yell at you.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    The real moral of the story is that if you want to shoot using a tripod without really worrying about being harassed, get out of manhattan. There are some great views in Long Island City (Queens) and some really interesting places in outer brooklyn, and there just aren't as many people. As far as green spaces, head to prospect park in Brooklyn--it doesn't have the cache of central park, but it has way fewer people, and way fewer tourists.

The laws are loose enough that if you're blocking people from walking with your tripod, someone is going to yell at you.
    i totally agree that there are plenty of great locations outside of manhattan, particularly prospect park. my previous list was based on the where he was staying and the parameters he mentioned.

regarding tripods, plenty have already provided the correct laws, i'll just say i've taken literally thousands of shots on a tripod on NYC streets over many years and never had anyone complain, harass, or stop me. and that includes in central park, times square, in front of the library, on the brooklyn bridge, in front of city hall, in front of rockefeller center, and so forth. i'm very careful to not obstruct people, be overly polite/respectful, keep an eye out for potential security or police issues, try to aim for less occupied periods, and be fast (which is a challenge with large format, obviously). if i'm going to be in a heavily occupied area (such as times square at dusk), i bring a companion to help me manage the the crowd flow around me to minimize impact on others.

places i have had problems: handheld 35mm inside buildings that don't allow photography (guggenheim, morgan library, woolworth building, etc.). and that's why i love the met where you can shoot to your hearts content (without a tripod, of course).

hope your trip this weekend is a success!

cheers, a

For the record, here's the rule regarding tripod use in NYC:

In general, because tripods are defined as "hand-held devices", permits would not be needed. However, a permit will be needed by someone using a tripod if
    (1) the person filming asserts exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge, or
    (2) the filming activity results in less than eight feet of unobstructed sidewalk use as a result of the tripod user's assertion of exclusive control over the portion of the sidewalk they occupy.
    As to parades, rallies, protests or demonstrations, no permits are required when one uses a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    Where to go in NYC
    As someone whose birth certificate reads "New York, New York," I can't resist.

Just ask anyone when you get there. There will be no hesitation on their part to tell you where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    As someone whose birth certificate reads "New York, New York," I can't resist.

Just ask anyone when you get there. There will be no hesitation on their part to tell you where to go.
    Now I know why I like you. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    For the record, here's the rule regarding tripod use in NYC:

In general, because tripods are defined as "hand-held devices", permits would not be needed. However, a permit will be needed by someone using a tripod if
    (1) the person filming asserts exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge, or
    (2) the filming activity results in less than eight feet of unobstructed sidewalk use as a result of the tripod user's assertion of exclusive control over the portion of the sidewalk they occupy.
    As to parades, rallies, protests or demonstrations, no permits are required when one uses a tripod.
    Have you ever actually tried telling a cop in NYC the law?.... Hah!

Seriously I've been threatened with arrest just by aiming the lens in the direction of police.

Good luck!

bdkphoto

Now I know why I like you. Lol.

Have you ever actually tried telling a cop in NYC the law?.... Hah!

Seriously I've been threatened with arrest just by aiming the lens in the direction of police.

Good luck!
    I've worked this city for a long, long time and had no issues at all -- in fact I've had the police move their cruiser out of the way of a shot in midtown when I asked. In reality the city is a great place to shoot and most folks will just leave you alone or actually be really helpful, including the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence Falk View Post
    I think in both these incidents there are two things behind it: liability
    Yes, New York probably has the highest population density of lawyers of any city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Yes, New York probably has the highest population density of lawyers of any city in the world.
    Then you better check Washington, DC if you want to see an awful lot of lawyers as well!