Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: New Category for Alternative Printmaking via various digital means

Denise, sometimes I get lucky! Coffee and my vitamin drink that is all. I'll drift back to normal soon and make no sense. With so many people going digital I think it is only natural that this DPUG should be a hit. People just have to support it. I mean how hard is it to go to the site and contribute? Really?

Maybe this thread could have it's own sub-forum?

Quote Originally Posted by TXFZ1 View Post
    It's inconceivable that an Alt Process section would not enhance the forum.

David
    Possibly, but since there are relatively few alt printers that continue to use traditional LF negatives, there is also risk of overburdening the purpose of this forum while reducing the traffic to existing alt forums. So instead of starting yet another specialty alt sub-forum, why not use the existing forums elsewhere that have been supportive of alt and hybrid-alt printing for years, have active databases and archives, but declining membership?

A new forum for such a complicated subject as alt/alt-hybrid printing may take a long time to gather interest, and participation, and a useful database. It's like looking for a granite slab to knock the corners off of when there are plenty of wheels already to use.

But regardless of what I think, the best way to gauge real demand is to start threads and actually talk about the stuff that interests you. If it's popular I'm sure the forum will accommodate it.

Not for nothing, but I'm seeing a lot of the same names in this thread that used to participate on the other forums. DPUG. That place was pretty great, and it could easily be great again. It's wide open for anything alternative; hybrid, digital, traditional- anything goes. It had the many of the respected and generous alternative photographer/printers that I've followed from the altprocess list to APUG and then to DPUG when digital negatives came into their own. It's a shame that activity died out on DPUG- I'm as guilty as anyone. But it does make me wonder what would be different here.

Most of the Alt printers that I know use large format film as their source.. most of my clients though I will admit come at it with digital camera systems and from what I am gathering not one of the sensor
    systems make the large format criteria yet for this site.

I have tried using some of the other wheels and frankly I like the wheels here better.

After 10 years of being on this site, I always felt this was an all encompassing place for photography. Right now after reading some of the posts I am not so sure..

After 18000 views - Moderators is there any way this request could be solved or dealt with ? I am not sure there is much to add to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post

After 10 years of being on this site, I always felt this was an all encompassing place for photography. Right now after reading some of the posts I am not so sure..
    Bob, I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary too. I've always tried to respect and appreciate the core purpose of this forum, even if in conflict with my own interests. I'm a dedicated hybrid alt-process printer myself and would like a hybrid forum here too, but can appreciate that it may not be in the best interest of the place.

The main point I'm trying to make isn't exclusion. I think we should just try to use the resources that are already out there, and not dilute them by adding redundancy here.

Bob - not to leave you hanging: so far we're not seeing a compelling justification for bending our mission. This is not an all-encompassing place for photography. It was never intended to be. That does not imply any disrespect whatsoever for other types of photography - the vast majority of us, including yours truly, happily participate in, respect and admire non-LF types of photography too. It's just that specialty interests benefit greatly from having a dedicated and clearly delineated space, and large format is what this one is for.

But the discussion that has emerged later in this thread, about where and how an any-capture-mode specialty forum for alt-printing processes might best be implemented, is a worthy one. If the questions raised and discussed here catalyze a clear decision about how to proceed in that respect, and lead to the creation or revival of a viable alt-process forum elsewhere, we'll be happy to have helped "midwife" that result.

Ok I respect the sites mandate. is it possible to close this thread ?

Indeed.