Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FR 4x5 development tank

FR 4x5 development tank

Hi folks, just getting into LF and in searching for a development tank to process my own 4x5 sheet film. My favorite local camera store has a fifty year old collection of photo equipment. Picked up a cut film pack daylight developing tank made of bakelite that was complete . It will handle up to 12 sheets of film and is adjustable for 4x5 down. It was made by the old FR corp. which is no longer in business. If anyone out there has such a tank and still has the user info (you probably have to be older than dirt like me) I would appreciate a copy. Many thanks!

FR 4x5 development tank

I have one of those, although I wouldn't recommend it. If complete, your FR tank should have included a little almost flat plastic bar with a slot in the middle. The bar is used as a guide for inserting the film into the holder slots, and has small nibs on the bottom edge, so you can feel the movements from one slot to the next when loading. In use, it's a little niggly, so some caution (and sheet/slot counting) is necessary.

Although some have reported good success with the FR tank, I always seemed to get density variations at the edge of the film due to swirling of the developer during (even very gentle) side-to-side aggitation. As a result, I switched to developing in trays, and now use the FR tank only for washing. The HP Combi-plan tank seems to get better reviews among the daylight 4x5 tanks. YMMV, of course.

FR 4x5 development tank

Gerald, I have a few of those tanks that I used for years before going completely to film hangers and larger tanks for 4X5. You need that little plastic guide to help you get the film into the right slots each time, then move it down to the next spot to load the next sheet, then down again to load the next film, etc. I have hung on to my tanks just for Sodium Sulfite tanks. They are excellent for that purpose until you get home to finish the processing.

In my processing experience, I never saw any problems with variation in density from any processing techniques. In fact, I have always thought the results were great in those tanks. The disadvantage was getting the chemicals changed promptly enough. But, then again, as mentioned, I cannot recall any problems in results.

Octogenarian

FR 4x5 development tank

Hi Gerald,

Someone on this forum once told me that I was "older than dirt" ,when I happened to mention that I would be seventy-five years of age on my next birthday. I remember the FR tank very well.
    However, I don't remember if it originally came with an instruction book. From what I do remember about my FR tank, I can advise you on the best way to utilize it:

First, drill a few holes on the bottom. Second, fill the tank with potting soil. Third, obtain a nice house plant, and place it in the soil. Finally, place your new decorative flower pot near a north facing window. You will avoid many disappointments developing your 4X5 sheet film.

FR 4x5 development tank

Eugene, I think that technically, you have to be at least 95 before you can truly be considered older than dirt. So, technically you're still a young whipper-snapper!

I can prove it! Just look at your witty reply above! ROTFLMAO!!!

Octogenarian

FR 4x5 development tank

Ellen,

I don't know what "ROTFLAMAO" stands for. However, my mother-in-law refers to me as a "young whipper snapper". I sometimes think that she uses that expression in a sarcastic way, because she's from a Southern state , and I'm slightly older than she is.

FR 4x5 development tank

The flower planter idea is the best.

Use a 8/10 tray with a quart of solution for one sheet of film. Raise two adjacent edges for each agitation cycle and really move the liquid around.

Or a Jobo tank and reel. This does 6 sheets at a time.

If your lucky enough, you can find a Nikor 4x5 tank. Holds 12 sheets and uses 1 quart of solution. Make sure the band that goes around the reel is included. It holds the film inside the reel as each sheet is inserted from the outside. It is a overgrown 35mm tank.

Arkay will still make tanks , water jackets, and film hangar rack if you have a lot of money. A 4x5 tank and hanger rack just cost me $200. You need 2 or 3 tanks, film hangars. hanger rack. and water jacket. and the water chiller a nice extra. Everything except the rack and third tank came free from an ex pro. But there is the used market.

Jobo expert drum and processor will allow you to do color and black and white. 4x5 color neg is awsome.

FR 4x5 development tank

Gosh, Eugene, you're even older than I am. Considering my ex has stated (emphatically and convincingly) that I'm "dirt" on several occasions, that must indeed mean that you're older than dirt. ;-)

Remember when computers only had zeros, and what a kick it was when they added ones? Remember how tough it was to get the wooly rhinos to hold still for their cave-painting portraits? ;-)

FR 4x5 development tank

Remember when dirt was still white?

FR 4x5 development tank

if i had to guess, i'd say that "ROTFLMAO" was short hand for:

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Arse Off

if i'm mistaken, someone kindly fill the rest of us in.