Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI ultralight - good upgrade from Wista DXII?

Zone VI ultralight - good upgrade from Wista DXII?

Will Zone VI Ultralight (current model, from Calumetphoto.com) be a good choice to upgrade my Wista DXII cherry? Main reason - i want to use lenses longer than 240mm.
    Also, i like Wista's ability to use 65mm lens without bag bellows, looks like Zone VI can do it too.
    Any advice, any experience with Zone VI Ultralight?
    Thanks!

Yuri,
    I guess the 58mm will fit that normal bellow as I did try a 65mm Nikkor yesterday and I still have around 1 cm before the bellow gets fully compressed. I easily focus at infinity with the 65mm and have the possibilty to apply some movements.

I confirm the normal bellows max. extension is around 20" , not 22" and this is not limited by the action of a stiff bellow but by the rail extension.

Hope it helps

Salut
    Michel

Thanks a lot guys!
    Michel, was you able to use 65mm lens with flat lens board or recessed lens boar?

Flat lens board. That was easier than expected I could say
    I don't think you can find any recessed or extension lensboard from Zone VI.

I have the previous (non-ultralight) Zone VI 4x5. It's provided good service for 13 years now. But you should get the bag bellows- lenses shorter than 150mm are more comfortable with them. My shortest lens is a 75mm and I can't imagine using it with the standard bellows. And watch out in cold weather- both sets of bellows are plastic and stiffen up below freezing.

Don't forget to check into extension boards for your Wista. They may solve your long lens problem. If you go that route look for used ones at Midwest.

Will extention board make camera less rigid at full extention?

Zone VI specs:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=ZN1000

"...Standard 22" (56cm) removable bellows accommodates up to a 19" (48cm) Dagor, or 450mm Nikkor M Series lens and down to a 58mmXL Schneider Super Angulon at infinity focus..."

Octogenarian

Hi Yuri,

Before you make the decision to purchase a Zone VI, take a look at the Ebony RW45 with the universal bellows. It's in the same price range as the Zone VI, will handle the same set of lenses that you mention, and does not require a separate bag bellows for the shorter lenses. It is smaller and lighter weight than the Zone VI. The Ebony is available at Robert White in the UK and Midwest Photo Exchange in the US.

Octogenarian

P.S. Yuri,

The Ebony uses the same lensboards as the Wista. The Zone VI uses different lensboards or the use of a lensboard adapter (an added expense).

Hi Eugene,
    Ebony RW45 looks good and i'm sure it is very well built camera, but it has only 340mm bellows extentions. ( Zone has 22" bellows, ~558mm)