Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a plan to preserve this forum's data when it shuts down?

Re: Is there a plan to preserve this forum's data when it shuts down?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ...Was this ever discussed before on this forum?
    I've been visiting here daily for a loooong time. I still view the forum exactly as it was presented on LUSENET, i.e. a listing of every post made, regardless of category. While not in possession of an eidetic memory, I don't recall seeing this subject covered before.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Why worry? If this enterprise shuts down it will be because there would no be enough interest in large format photography to support it.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Another aspect of digital extinction is that so many of the images here are hosted on outside sites. If Flickr, Photobucket, or other such sites go away, the images go with them. It would be such a shame if fifty years from now, as people huddle in their underground bunkers to avoid the zombies battling the terminator robots, they don't have access to wet plates of pixies...
    Mark, I don't know what archive.org saves from photo hosting sites. If you find an image on one that you want to have around for quite a while, take its URL and ask archive.org whether it has it. If it doesn't and the hosting site allows it, you can ask archive.org to keep a copy. And it will.

I've been working on an e-book, The Great Mexican Cookbook in the Sky (working title and inside joke, not how I'll publish it if I can ever get the copyright clearances I need). The times being what they are, many of my references are on the 'web. I've taken pains to make sure that archive.org has all of them that can be archived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Why worry? If this enterprise shuts down it will be because there would no be enough interest in large format photography to support it.
    This forum is a labor of love of LF, only charity supports it now.

It only needs one person.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I want him to live forever but sooner or later QT will die. And then what?

Old School Wayne

I think Mark addressed that already. Bunkers, zombies, robots, pixies live only in fairest memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I want him to live forever but sooner or later QT will die. And then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    This forum is a labor of love of LF, only charity supports it now.

It only needs one person.
    Actually, it doesn't need humans at all. It only needs for the servers and the Internet to keep running. Some day, the few remaining humans may huddle around small fires and tell stories of large format photography and the beauty of images that were possible. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Actually, it doesn't need humans at all. It only needs for the servers and the Internet to keep running. Some day, the few remaining humans may huddle around small fires and tell stories of large format photography and the beauty of images that were possible. ;-)
    Yes, and they could be doing chemical photography, as it has no need for electronics.

Perhaps our last database, almost like Lascaux.
    Tin Can

Is there a plan to preserve this forum's data when it shuts down?

I think the question stated has been on my mind as well but no one is asking the REAL question because it's morbid...

Is there a WILL that designates ownership of the site/hosting/domain/etc should the original creator join Ansel...?

That's the question I have, is there an official and legal contingency plan?

I've had to deal with this a lot the past year... And all I've learned is that people who don't leave a will make life for everyone else VERY difficult, and if you really care about those in your life, you'll make a will for THEM, grieving while dealing with financial and responsibility burdens that could easily have been settled with a will is not fun and makes your memory of the person potentially bitter.

My 2 cents.

This is a completely valid question. I have made a number of posts in another forum under the notion that it was owned by a guy that I like. Well, then he upped and sold it to a company that does forums commercially, and now I feel as though all I have contributed to that forum is under risk of disappearing. As soon as that forum provides commercially unproductive, they will close it without a backward glance.

We are partly protected by our own obscurity. Though I know that QT has been offered substantial sums for this forum in the past (and he has always rejected such offers, of course), I also know that large format photography is becoming more of a niche, and is therefore becoming less commercially attractive. This wasn't the case with the other forum I mentioned.

Our trust in QT's gracious support is well-founded in long experience, of course. But I think I'll bring it up with the other mods after we work our way through the For-Sale Forum thing.

Rick "who has seen lots of good stuff disappear" Denney