Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista 8x10 Field Camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wista 8x10 Field Camera

A couple years back, I was fortunate to acquire a Wista 8x10 Field camera. I love it, but I am worried that down the line, if sometime breaks I wont know how to fix it; more specifically, have the parts to fix it. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase the parts to this camera, and if not, if there is any way I could have them custom made. I want this camera to outlive me, but so far I am unable to find out a whole lot of information one it. Thanks for your time!

Re: Wista 8x10 Field Camera

I have the same camera and I have not been able to get parts. However, supposedly Nippon Photo Clinic has parts - they just couldn't get what I needed.

That said, machining parts for the camera should be a breeze. I'm still planning on having a replacement knob and gear made for me. But haven't had the chance.

More troublesome to me is the paper bellows. I think those will shred pretty easily in an accident, so be careful.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks Bryan,

It's good to know, I'll have to check out Nippon Photo Clinic, I've came across it when looking online, but I haven't heard anyone whose used them. I'm glad that getting the parts machined shouldn't be too bad, because I am worried about the knobs eventually. My bellows are getting a little old too, and I ordered some off of ebay a while ago just incase, but i'd have to install it myself to the front and rear standards, so I'm in no rush to do that. Are there any decent replacement ground glasses that you would recommend do? or do it by hand? I'd love to do it by hand, but I don't know how to add those grid lines. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by pwjamro View Post
    Thanks Bryan,

It's good to know, I'll have to check out Nippon Photo Clinic, I've came across it when looking online, but I haven't heard anyone whose used them. I'm glad that getting the parts machined shouldn't be too bad, because I am worried about the knobs eventually. My bellows are getting a little old too, and I ordered some off of ebay a while ago just incase, but i'd have to install it myself to the front and rear standards, so I'm in no rush to do that. Are there any decent replacement ground glasses that you would recommend do? or do it by hand? I'd love to do it by hand, but I don't know how to add those grid lines. Thanks again!
    As of Jan. 15 of this year, when we stopped distributing Wista cameras in the USA all of the existing inventory, including ground glasses, fresnel so, lens boards for the 810 was sold to OmegaBrandess who took over the U.S. Distributors hip of Wista.

Thanks Bob, I'll be sure to check out OmegaBrandess!

You can check out the DIY forum if you want to try making your own GG. I wouldn't myself, but that's me. Plenty of 3rd-party manufacturers that do it, and it's not specific to one brand, just get it sized properly.

I forgot about the OmegaBrandess thing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

For ground glass look into borosilicate

http://www.hopfglass.com/order

Good to know that there are at least two other Wista 8x10 users that I can pilfer parts from in the future
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Hello, folks.

According to the information I obtained from Wista today, Tachihara was the OEM of the wooden Wista 8X10 camera. I mean it was a Wista camera but it was actually manufactured by Tachihara. Therefore, it might be possible to use components from Tachihara cameras on the Wista 8x10. Although I'm not sure.

However, Tachihara went out of business in 2013.

Sad news to know Tachihara went out of business, i had one and was a fantastic camera.