Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanview 5000 drum scanner

Scanview 5000 drum scanner

I have the opertunity to buy a Scanview 5000 drum scanner (a desktop unit) taken out of service (from a working environment). I am tempting to buy it to be able to work with bigger an densier transparencies: 5"x7" and occationally 8"x10". My old Agfa Arcus 1200 have a hard time getting useful scans from velvia in these sizes (but is quite good with color negs. & less dense trannies), and I would imagine the ScanView would also be better than my Sprintscan 45 on smaller formats. The company making Scanview is aquired by a neighboring big pre-press company, but as they both are situated in Copenhagen (ferry & 4 hour by car), service may be within reach..

However, does anyone have experience with this scanner in particular, or any of the other ScanView drum-scanners (I understand the ScanView 10000 is very similar). Ease of set-up/use, possibility to do batch-scanning and possibility to scan without oil-mounting?

The scanner comes with the Color Quartet 3.3.2. software (mac.) & dongles, but I see on the companys home-page that software have been updated recently for both PC & mac . Info. on usefulness of this software (for color-transparency work) compared to newer version or 3-party software is appreciated.

Tor,

No direct experience but a few thoughts since I have been considering a Scanview 4500. First, I can tell you that the US price for a completely checked-out refurbished Scanview 5000 with a warrenty and latest software is around 6500 USD so that should give you something to work with regarding the price.

One of the main reasons I am wavering is the realization that if I ever need any parts or service they will likely cost me moe than the initial purchase price and it is difficult to figure out how much longer one may have with a piece of industrial machinery of this age.

Just a couple of thoughts .. all may be simpler since you can get to the factory with ease. Although maybe not at this time of year! I used to regularly take the trip from Copenhagen to Lund and it was interesting in the winter when the channel is frozen over and you go by a VERY small plane.

Thanks for info, Ted. The graphic arts business in Norway is a small one (well, we are just 5 mill people in total,a and is outside European Union...), and prices on used graphic arts equipment is sometimes very low when there is no customers around at the time of sell-out, so I purchase this one at a small fraction of the figures You have given - having a fair amount of money for maintanence & service before hitting the US $$ 4000 mark. Thus - given info I have found on the net about these machines, they seems to be reasonable sound & updated software is available, so I will give it a try. In my county, the last drum-scan business dissappeared 3 years ago - and I know of no other high-end scanning service is available withing 150 miles (drum scan service available in Stavanger), so I hope this is a way to have thus far unprinted 8"x10"'s chromes come to life...

By the way - there is now a hideously long bridge between Copenhagen & Malmo (close to Lund), so something have changed to the better!

You're mistaking activity for progress Tor :-)

Hi Tor,

I dont know about the 10000, but I have worked with a Scanmate 11000 for two years now, and just purchased one myself. It is very easy to setup, just install the software, make suure the scsi cables are connected tightly [and turn on the scanner BEFORE the computer always.

By the way, does anyone know where I can find a used or new mounting station for the scanmate 11000?

Thanks and good luck!

Try Prazio for a mounting station.

Used Scan View Scanmate 5000 unit for sale. Please send me an email for anyone interested.

Re: Scanview 5000 drum scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Dessie D. Gonzales
    Used Scan View Scanmate 5000 unit for sale. Please send me an email for anyone interested.
    i am interested in your scanner. what accessories come with the scanner? any photos of the set-up? where are you located?
    leo

Smile Re: Scanview 5000 drum scanner

Are you the Dessie D. Gonzales who worked at Cinema Artists Phils. and Robert Lam HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dessie D. Gonzales View Post

Smile Re: Scanview 5000 drum scanner

I have a brand new Scanview Scanmate 11000, still sitting in the original packing case, with three drums.

If anyone is interested I would like to sell it, any reasonable offers to: Steve
    sleepygecko@gmail.com