Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Almost Always Have To Refresh and Re-Post?

Why Do I Almost Always Have To Refresh and Re-Post?

I'm getting pretty tired of this...trying to post something thoughtful - taking a few minutes to fill the space with somewhat carefully considered words...then, when I hit "post," I get a message that I do not have permission to do this, and could I please refresh and post again?

The only thing that works for me is to copy my original post...sign out, find the original thread, sign in again, then past my original copy. This is becoming very tedious!

Can someone tell me what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

Re: Why Do I Almost Always Have To Refresh and Re-Post?

The board's a little buggy at the moment, I've noticed this quite a lot as well. Also the search side isn't working at all in Search Single Content Type.

Most Forums are migrating away from vBulletin which has lagged behind in development, so I guess that will be an issue for the Moderators to think about at some stage if they aren't already.

Ian

Sounds like web browser issues; I almost never have to re-login.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Sounds like web browser issues; I almost never have to re-login.
    It's more a case of having to cut the content of a post you write, then refresh the page/hread and paste the content before posting the final reply. Sometimes it's worse than others and you need to leave the site and start again, in my case Login is automatic. It's not browser specific as I tried in 2 other browsers and have the same issues.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I'm getting pretty tired of this...trying to post something thoughtful - taking a few minutes to fill the space with somewhat carefully considered words...then, when I hit "post," I get a message that I do not have permission to do this, and could I please refresh and post again?

The only thing that works for me is to copy my original post...sign out, find the original thread, sign in again, then past my original copy. This is becoming very tedious!

Can someone tell me what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!
    You've been a member for a long time, so I'm sure you know to check the "Remember Me" box when you log in. But, might you be forgetting to do that?

The forum software also has an automatic log-off feature, currently set to 60 minutes, I believe, which is supposed to log you off after that amount of "inactivity". That feature, however, seems to be inconsistent between users and browsers. Some stay logged in (seemingly) permanently, others get logged off.

So, I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'll ask Tom to take a look.

Ralph, I've been having the same trouble recently. Firefox 39.0 under Windows 8.0, FWIW.

Preston Birdwell

No posting issues for me on either IE 11 or FireFox. (Win 7 64 bit)

I always check the "Remember me" box, and I stay logged in.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I use either a Chromebook or a ubuntu desktop system with Firefox or Chrome browser and have not had any logged/refresh/repost issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    You've been a member for a long time, so I'm sure you know to check the "Remember Me" box when you log in. But, might you be forgetting to do that?

The forum software also has an automatic log-off feature, currently set to 60 minutes, I believe, which is supposed to log you off after that amount of "inactivity". That feature, however, seems to be inconsistent between users and browsers. Some stay logged in (seemingly) permanently, others get logged off.

So, I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'll ask Tom to take a look.
    Ralph,

Just posted to a thread. I was automatically logged out withing 60 seconds and had to log-in again to complete the post. Definitely a glitch somewhere.

However, posting here to this thread worked just fine.

Doremus

It depends how long you take to create a post. Sometimes I need to find some images, maybe upload them (I prefer to host on my own web-space so hot link).

It's very much worse on this forum than any of the others I post on, although to be fair I mainly post here and APUG and very little elsewhere, but I do see significant differences.

Ian