Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: pictures that break composition rules

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: pictures that break composition rules

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I was doing big color prints with very complex spatial ambiguities before I ever heard of ANY of the above - even displaying them, but will probably never show them on the web, because that would castrate every nuance that make them work to begin.
    Ok, so we'll all accept that YOU are the unheralded source of inspiration for Friedlander's genius. No wonder you're mad. And how tragic that your work depends on subtleties that a medium as coarse as the web could never convey. That must feel very lonely.

As usual, you're displaying the typical NYC arrogance that if it's not the current conversation in a Starbucks there, it must not exist.
    I have no idea what this sentence means. If you're ever actually in NYC, I'll promise not to take you a Starbucks. No opinion about the state of conversation there, but the coffee's pretty bad.

Drew Wiley

No. I was going about it from a completely different direction, with different background influences, mainly painters, even if subconscious. Gosh, Paul... I sure hope
    the web isn't your only standard of evidence. People knew how to make the equivalent of flip-card moving images of animals on cave walls 40,000 years ago. New York didn't even exist yet. Nor did the web.

Today, 11:11 #70
    sun of sand

It's not the crop. He should have aimed more to the right or moved himself to the right to get a different perspective. This is why it's so important to try to get it right in the camera. Cropping doesn't always help. The correct perspective often cannot be corrected afterwards.

It's not adherence to the rules that makes great photographs. Those rules are tweaked, often by non-photographers, to conform to great photographs. This has long been true in the other arts. Sometimes this tweaking lags many thousands of years after the original creative works, as in Altamira and Lascaux. Ignoring the rules frees the artist for creating the most innovative work. Blatantly breaking the rules may give others notoriety, a poor substitute for lasting fame.

Too bad proper lines are never drawn regarding rudeness

And there isn't any innovation in art
    Its all stolen
    You may have a considerable break as in abstract painting where abstraction of the figurative turned completely non figurative
    But who created the first abstract?
    I bet we don't even know. Someone stole it from a nobody.
    Then it took decades to be formally announced as having arrived on the scene

Instead of giving examples bring someone in you can trust and ask them whether you can break the ultimate rule of balance and get anything good
    Well, great.
    Good is judged by too many who have not yet tried to understand balance carefully

You're not breaking rules
    You're graduating from shorthand to script

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    Its all stolen
    This thesis would require a very shallow reading of the word 'innovation.'

Its all stolen
    You may have a considerable break as in abstract painting where abstraction of the figurative turned completely non figurative
    Turtles all the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    The first person to split the frame vertically was Stieglitz. He probably wasn't the first, but it caused such a great stir, with people asking how he could do such a thing, etc., that he is considered the first...
    He and many of the pictorialists of that group were influenced by Whistler (1872-1875 range):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N01959_10.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	137104

In Mike Weaver's "Alvin Langdon Coburn Symbolist Photographer" book, Hiroshige's "Kyobashi Bridge" from 1857 is also referenced for a source of Whistler's composition. It was a woodblock, so it had been potentially copied for distribution around the world. Many pictorialist photographers had copies of Japanese prints and were influenced by them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_views_edo_076.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	137105

Too bad proper lines are never drawn regarding rudeness

Its all stolen
    Then it took decades to be formally announced as having arrived on the scene

Instead of giving examples bring someone in you can trust and ask them whether you can break the ultimate rule of balance and get anything good
    Well, great.
    Good is judged by too many who have not yet tried to understand balance carefully

You're not breaking rules
    You're graduating from shorthand to script
    One of the first that I know is Kandinski, circa 1903. And it was absolutely intentional, and based on his own studies about color, shapes, lines, plane, weight, complementary colors, etc. His work is everything you want but not "stolen" in any manner neither accidental. IMHO he was one of the guys which opened an entire universe in art terms and was immediately recognized by many painters like Paul Klee and Picasso, just to name few,

Cheers,

Renato

But who created the first abstract? I bet we don't even know.
    Who created the creator? See how it is?