Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lighter tripod

Looking for a lighter tripod

My bogen 3021 with 3047 pan tilt head with quick release is finally sucumbing to the salt water in my area. I am looking for a lighter replacment. I use a Tachihara 4x5 and Nikon F100 with an 80-200 being my heaviest combination. There are simply too many choices on line and practically none available locally for me to see.

What do you use and why ? Any suggestions?

I too started out with the 3021/3047 set up. I then tried out the gitzos. I was won over instantly. The build quality is something you feel immediately. I personally use a heavier 1410 model, but for a lighter model I would seriously consider one of their carbon fiber models, maybe something in the 1300 series.

I recently bought (second hand) a Gitzo 1345 (version w/o centre pole - saves a good deal of weight + added stability) , and added a Manfrotto junior 3D head. This is a very stable & light construction for a non-carbon tripod. The Manfrotto head (I belive the model # is 115, but not shure) weights just over 0.5 kg, but have separate locks on all movements, works excellent with my Rollei MF and should work nice with field LF and not overequipped 35mm/digi. It's also the least expensive head (except minature ball-heads) Manfrotto produce, not a bad combination these days. The head is of mye choice for my use, not pa perfect fit for the Gitzo, which can take much larger loads than this head can support, but for my use: need of light but stable & flexible &non-ripping (account...) tripod/head combination, it works good. My preferred LF tripod however, is a home-shortened & for its type wery light surveyors aluminium/resin tripod - costed less than $$ 130 new....

With your camera requirements, I would chose a Gitzo 1325. It comes with a simple top plate in lieu of the center column which can be source of instability and extra weight. It weights about 4 1/4 lbs.

A nice used Leitz Tiltall is still hard to beat. Yes, you can save one pound with a $400 Carbon fiber job and a $200 magnesium head, but that seems to me like a poor tradeoff.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Actually, the CF column #G-1318 only weighs 17 oz. It's the one I got with my 1325 a couple of years ago. Gitzo also included the plain top plate with the set, but that may not be the case currently--I'd ask your dealer about it.

Anyway, I haven't found that the column reduces stability, but then I don't extend it very far--at most probably 3". A column is handy if you use handheld cameras at all. If you don’t extend it and leave it seated, then it’s just as stable as the plain top plate.

I recently bought an aluminum series 5 Gitzo (the huge 6 section one) that weighs about 9 lbs without the head attached. It's amazing the apparent added stability and solidity that tripod has compared with the 1325 CF tripod (at the same extension lengths). I mention it only to say that light weight isn't always a good thing in tripods, and unless you plan on backpacking with it a lot, you might want to reconsider, esp. if you live or photograph in windy places. I've seen my Arca F-Line 4x5 picked up and body slammed onto an asphalt parking lot in about a 30 mph wind gust while mounted on the CF tripod. It's not an experience I'd wish on anybody. Another reason to get the column with the CF tripod if you decide on it: it has a hook on it you can use to hold everything down.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

I'll second what Tom said. It doesn't necessarily meet your lightweight requirements (it certainly isn't a recommendation if you are backpacking), but if you have salt water to deal with I'd suggest looking at a wooden tripod such as a Reis or Berlebach.

I second (third) Mr. Westbrooks contributions. I have the same tripod with the center column and the plain top plate. I have my lightweight Acratech ballhead mounted to the plain flat plate and my heavy large ballhead mounted to the center column. It's a matter of manipulating one bolt to switch them out. When packing I leave the center column and heavy head at home. I always miss the column however. The ordinary flat plate makes life a tad more complicated.

The Berlebach's could be nice. I purchased the ball head version without the center column and it works well for my 45G and 67 Pro-S's. I haven't yet tried it with the B&J 5x7 (which is on the floppy side anyway). The tripod is light with just the ball mount (ie no pan-tilt head but a ball that will level and tilt up to 30°). It's also pretty strong and will let you get to within three inches of the ground.

Now the negatives, I would like it better if it came with a spreader.

It isn't as fancy as the Ries. But the fit and finish is very good.

Hello,

I currently use a Gitzo G1348 carbon tripod with a Manfrotto geared head 405. I am very happy with this combination.