Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy frames?

Where do you buy frames?

I use Nielsen frames. My inventory of components is getting low and my previous supplier is out of business. Do you know of a good source of components and hardware? Thanks
    Thread killer.

Re: Where do you buy frames?

I like these guys -- http://www.framedestination.com/

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Thanks!!
    Thread killer.

I'm a big fan of metro frames in minneapolis: http://www.metroframe.com/

Drew Wiley

I buy Nielsen profiles wholesale, in ten ft lengths, then cut this down myself. Much cheaper that way. But you do need the right kind of shop equip.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I buy Nielsen profiles wholesale, in ten ft lengths, then cut this down myself. Much cheaper that way. But you do need the right kind of shop equip.
    Do you use a miter saw with a slow speed blade for aluminum or something else?
    Thread killer.

Drew Wiley

I have a very solid cast iron mitre saw with a complete length table with measuring stops etc. Thin aluminum needs to be very solidly clamped in both for safety
    and to keep the profile in precise orientation so the cut isn't skewed. Special blades are made for this purpose. Mine cost way more than the mitre saw itself. This is not something you're going to find at the typical Home Depot toy dept. Professional picture framing suppliers do carry these kinds of blades, along with true industrial carbide houses. You also need a water-rinsable lubricant. The moulding corners and springs etc are sold in bulk. Around here you basically need a business and resale license to open a wholesale account. But these outfits typically allow you to mix and match Nielsen profiles for volume purchase, and will offer a vastly bigger selection than web sources. Or they will "chop" it to size using their own equipment, but for a distinct fee, and generally only if you outright own a retail gallery or picture framing shop. Policies differ company to company. By far the most economical option is to buy in volume lengths and cut it yourself. As a rough estimate, to start up I'd allow at least a thousand bucks for gear and another thousand for a realistic moulding order.

Walmart and Michaels. Oh and every once in a while a nice old weathered frame shows up on the "still good pile" at the town dump.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I wish I could like the walmart frames, but I can't. Most people would be thinking, "Hey, it's framed, awesome." even if it's a walmart frame. But I look at them and the backing is cheap cardboard and the corners are messy, etc.. It's not quality and barely functional.

I look at frames at Goodwill and lawnsales sometimes too (and sometimes even buy). 90% are junk but once in a while a quality frame appears that is not too beat up. Last fall I bought a plastic framed Michael Jordan picture at Goodwill for $1, just so I could have a nice piece of plastic for my chicken coop window for the winter. I have a couple nice old frames I intend to actually put photos in too.

The Nielsen style you assemble yourself seems to be a good choice for me. I have bought from framefit/framedestination quite a while ago and purchased glass locally.

I'd like to make some simple wooden frames, but I don't have a planer. (My mother does, so it's not a huge obstacle). I did recently get a miter saw.

Drew Wiley

(Wood frames): Next get some really good solid old cast iron Stanley mitre vises, typically around $40 to $60 each on Bay. Avoid the more recent Chinese knockoff ones, which are the only kind still sold new. Or buy modern Bessey Ones.