Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

Re: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

today I did some field testing with the Double Anastigmats.

all three, Isconar, Helioplan and Unofokal are unsymmetric, although the look quite symmetric. f135mm of the whole lens, the front anastigmats alone give about 270mm, the rear parts about 200 mm.
    So, they are not ideal for macro? But the performance of my Xenar ist very good at 1:1 anyway...

does anyone know if a heliar has good macro abilities?

Harald, you seem to be extracting lenses from old 9x12 folders. No lens fitted to one of these cameras will be very good closeup. The cameras were all made to be used at normal distances.

You seem to be fixated on German lenses. The only between-the-wars macro lenses that were made in Germany that I'm aware of are CZJ Mikrotars. Pre-WW-II process lenses (Apo-Tessar, Apo-Planar) might do what you need but they weren't fitted to folding cameras.

Heliars as macro lenses? If they're truly symmetric (about the center singlet, not about the diaphragm, which can't be in the middle, and Eric Beltrando's prescriptions indicate that only the earliest were) then they should be ok closeup. If not, not.

FWIW, Voightlaender made f/10 Heliar process lenses between the wars. These are symmetric and, based on perfomance of my very similar Boyer Apo-Saphirs, should be very good lenses at all distances. There are, however, process lenses that are better at apertures larger than f/16. Dialyte type Apo Nikkors, for example.

fixation to german lenses is because german old folders are easily availible here in germany.

I need no real macro lens for the technika, I only check what lens suits most if needed.
    Today I will do a little testing with the heliar....

The problem with old folders is that they are fitted with lenses normal for their formats. They don't come with wide angle or long focal length lenses. A proper kit for an interchangeable lens camera should have lenses that aren't normal for the format.

There are many old folders here, mainly made by EKCo. I harvested f/6.3 Tessars (most B&L, one CZJ) and other lenses from them. Problem was, Kodak offered few focal lengths in good (= Compound or Compur) shutters. The range was from around 85 mm (Tessar IIb, cover 2x3) to around 170 mm and the majority are 127 to 135 mm. F/6.3 Tessars are good lenses, I gained little from spending money and time on others of similar focal lengths. But our tastes may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Harald, you seem to be extracting lenses from old 9x12 folders. No lens fitted to one of these cameras will be very good closeup. The cameras were all made to be used at normal distances.
    Many of the pre-WWII German 9x12 cameras were designed to be used from Infinity to 1:1 so have double extension, but of course there's a big variation in lenses used on them. Just checking some adverts and many state the cameras can be used to copy life size, bottom of the range models generally have no front rise/fall and are not double extension.

Some of the Dialytes like the Rodenstock Eurynar will be excellent for close up work as will similar lenses from other manufacturers, but when companies like Goerz sold 3 or 4 different Dialytes of the same focal length there's obviously going to be a big difference in quality between the Dogmar, Tenastigmat and the Kalostigmat, there's a significant difference in price.

There were of course a few German 9x12 cameras that took Interchangeable lenses, usually with a bayonet type fit similar to the type used by Exactas, they could use Wide angle and telephoto lenses.

Ian

there were no wide angles for the 9x12 folders, but ai have a Linhof schneider Angulon anyway.
    Für my 6x9 with 105 mm a have options of 135mm, 150mm and maybe 165mm in Compur 1 or 2 shutters.

At least the Schneider Isconar DA 4.5/135 was very convincing, i just have to get a proper lens hood for these uncoated lenses.

Does anyone know the filter size for these Compur 1 size lenses, is it 35.5 screw and A37?

Anyone knows the filter diameter of the 4.5/105 lenses, ist it 29.5 screw? then maybe I have a hood from my contaflex...

Many of e better folders, especially these with the high end lenses and shutters, had double extension bellows, so they were macro capable.... When would be a point when retro use of an unsymmetrical lens is usful, close to 1:1 or only far beyond 1:1?
    The compur 1 has 2 identical sizes for the front and rear group, so if the front group is not too deep to hit the blades, retro mount is technically easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    When would be a point when retro use of an unsymmetrical lens is usful, close to 1:1 or only far beyond 1:1?
    Lenses are optimized for large subject in front, small image behind. Above 1:1 there's a small subject in front, large image behind. Getting whatever advantages the optimization offers above 1:1 requires reversing the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    The compur 1 has 2 identical sizes for the front and rear group, so if the front group is not too deep to hit the blades, retro mount is technically easy...
    Eh? Wot? All of my #1 shutters (Compur, Copal, Prontor Press) have front tubes threaded M40x0.75, rear tubes threaded M36x0.75. What are you looking at?

Xipho, I've seen a couple of 9x12 folding cameras with Meyer WA lenses which were interchangeable, in fact one was for sale on this forum a few years ago.

Ian

Bergheil, perhaps, Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bergheil, perhaps, Ian?
    May have been Dan, one was an Edelweiss camera a short lived company. There was a Zeiss Ideal camera with inter-changeable lenses as well and I think one or two others manufacturers made them as well. None are that common.

Ian