Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    What underlying hostility are you speaking about? On who's side? I just got deleted posts when I doubted about MF scanner scanning 4x5 image twice and stitching the results. Do you think trying to understand rules that are not so clear is hostile endeavour? A polite explanation goes long way, don't forget that. Your servant, truly.
    My ear is reasonably tuned to tone.

Rick "who doesn't always hear correctly, but who usually does" Denney

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    That is true, but even though moderators are volunteers, they are not above the law, above criticism, or above reproach.

I pray (not in a religious way) that the TOS and guidelines fir this forum be updated to specify that mods above the forum law, above criticism, and above reproach until they voluntarily or involuntarily separate from moderation services.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    From my experience, a public, democratic, free-speech approach to questions of moderation and rules is a good policy in order to avoid the above issues and to increase the credibility of moderators within the community they serve.
    I think you'll find all our current moderators agree with this. So, what happens when one vocal group goes one way and another vocal group goes another way? How does one determine which vocal group is representative? The number of registrants on this forum is vastly larger than the number of participants, which is similarly larger than the number of active participants. The mechanics of gathering consensus isn't trivial, and one thing is for sure: The polling tools in the forum will not do that, and would likely exclude viewpoints rather than capturing them.

Our current approach has been to gather up the comments seen in various places in the forum, and when they rise to the level of needing consideration, bring those up for moderator discussion. Based on what can be very extensive discussion, we propose a concept, test it for technical and semantic feasibility, and put it out for comment. Often, those comments are divided, with some positives and some negatives. We try to address the negatives, either with refinements or with explanations, but at the end of the day, any action will have committed detractors. We certainly give more weight to those contributors who most reflect the purpose of the forum, and that does build in some bias towards certain viewpoints, but any other process will have biases, too. We also test every change with the simple question: Does this solve a bigger problem than it creates? Of course, the answer to that is at best a prediction.

As to cherry-picking rule enforcement, we do not pick cherries. But we do not see everything, so our moderation is biased by things we see in our favorite topics, or based on complaints we receive from forum members, who each have their own biases. Those forums in which I participate that have sufficient moderation to review every post in every thread are far more tightly (and capriciously) moderated than this one. But it means that we don't see some things that would normally attract a moderator action, and if nobody complains, it may well go unaddressed. That is not cherry-picking, because we don't choose which threads to moderate on the basis of some underlying agenda, as the phrase "cherry-picking" implies.

Under the table dealing? Other than moderator discussions, there are none. We do interact with members who are related to a moderation activity, and we will continue to handle those conversations discreetly.

There is a fine line between open and transparent forum activity and uncontrolled rule of the loudest. We actually take a pretty soft hand in moderation compared to every other forum I follow, but we are committed to maintaining a place where people will not be shouted down.

Rick "who started this response two hours ago, but was interrupted by, you know, work" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    My ear is reasonably tuned to tone.

Rick "who doesn't always hear correctly, but who usually does" Denney
    Not always, I agree. Not in this case, I add. Your servant, truly.

Les

Allow me to shout a bit, he he....that the dead horse is getting more (unneeded) lashes, eh ? Space is allocated for all sorts of fortmats here...and even digital (Drew, I know you grind yer teeth on this).
    Can we all....? Heh

Les

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    What underlying hostility are you speaking about?...
    It's as clear as the detail in an 8x10 negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    We are having the discussion here. Parachuting into threads in the main section with disruptive posts, whether the motivation is to grab the moderators' attention, to press a case for a particular interpretation, or who-knows-what, is not "polite" by any stretch of the imagination. We will continue to delete such posts.
    A polite explanation goes a longer way than overreacting. Your servant,truly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Don't we have anything better to do?...
    Some of us do, some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Allow me to shout a bit, he he....that the dead horse is getting more (unneeded) lashes, eh ? Space is allocated for all sorts of fortmats here...and even digital (Drew, I know you grind yer teeth on this).
    Can we all....? Heh

Les
    With things going as they are large format as we have known it is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Before too long it will be limited to home-made emulsions in B&W, and to the color film and papers found in Drew's freezer.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Oh, I think it went overboard again as it happens. My only concern is that there is forum called:

Forum Digital Hardware
    Large format digital hardware (cameras, backs, scanners, printers, etc.)

So please add backs bigger than 4x5in to forum description. So neither myself or brand new user will not get confused with fact that that moderators ONLY allow 4x5 and bigger digital back discussion there. Simple and clear. Talking about real large things only!

It does not matter that such thing is not know to human society. As long at rule says digital backs of size 4x5 and bigger everybody will be fine.

Phase one and better light scan backs do not belong there either, cause imager size is smaller than 4x5.