Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

As a relatively new member to the forum, I don't think 'new users' will have a problem, if, and only if, they read the sub-forum topics description.

I had a question (that was indirectly referenced in this thread earlier) regarding scanning of my LF (4x5) negatives on a non-LF scanner. I looked at the sub-forum descriptions, and decided on "Digital Processing - Software, Printing, Workflow" rather than "Digital Hardware - Large Format digital hardware (cameras, backs, scanners, printers, etc.)". To me, "Digital Processing" made more sense, because a) I felt it was more a digital processing issue and scanner more than the LF equipment, and also because the scanner I use is not an LF scanner, and the sub-frum of digital processing doesn't specify LF. If the question had been about scanning 120, I wouldn't have even posted on this forum, since 120 is not LF.

So unless a new user doesn't want to read the sub-forum description, or understand what LF is defined as, there really shouldn't be any difficulty in figuring out what sub-forum a question belongs in. If in doubt, let the moderator decide where it belongs, and live with it.

To me, as a newbie (to both the forum and the format), Large Format refers to the initial medium used to capture the (original) image being 4x5 or larger.

But I'm just a newbie....

This is a little bit like arguing the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin. I'm no digital back expert, so perhaps some scanning backs are really 4x5, but to my knowledge all the digital backs are smaller. So by that standard they are medium format. On the other hand, they attach to a view camera, so one could argue that they fall within the bailiwick of our "proper" sub-forums. But my real point is that the moderators have a difficult, unpaid job, for which 99% of us would never volunteer. So in grey areas like this one, why don't we simply accept the moderator's decision, say "thank you for your service" (yes, I know I'm being unoriginal!), and get on with either taking photographs or enjoying the site.

Old School Wayne

My goodness, you are quite the mosquito.

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    How about if the scanner doesn't take 4x5 size film. Will it be moved to the Lounge if it draws a complaint? Can it be discussed on the main forum outside the Lounge then? Please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    This is a little bit like arguing the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin. I'm no digital back expert, so perhaps some scanning backs are really 4x5, but to my knowledge all the digital backs are smaller. So by that standard they are medium format. On the other hand, they attach to a view camera, so one could argue that they fall within the bailiwick of our "proper" sub-forums. But my real point is that the moderators have a difficult, unpaid job, for which 99% of us would never volunteer. So in grey areas like this one, why don't we simply accept the moderator's decision, say "thank you for your service" (yes, I know I'm being unoriginal!), and get on with either taking photographs or enjoying the site.
    Yes, the moderators are always right, even if they are wrong.

Personally, my opinion is that the moderators made a very flawed decision in deciding that large format was strictly to be defined by film size. For its entire existence until 2014 the mission of this forum included small (2X3" and 6X9 cm) view cameras and other technical cameras with movements and interchangeable lenses. It still does, if you look at the large format home page because there are sections on small view cameras, and on roll film backs.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about this issue, but when it comes up I plan to continue to state my opinion on the matter. I respect the moderators and their work, but I am not required to agree and respect everything they do. They really could have done better in this case, in my opinion.

Thanks, and that is all I will have to say on the subject until next year when it comes up again.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thank you all for your comments. While we note and respect the dissenting opinions, we will not be redefining "large format". But there are some good clarity suggestions that we are discussing.

One last warning: this has been litigated again for now. Do not take this discussion to other threads outside the feedback sub-forum. Let's cool it a bit and go make some photos.

Rick "waiting for that box of New55" Denney