Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Digital hate overmoderating?

This thread where new user asks about sinar 54 digital back for Sinar F2:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-on-LF-camera

Was just moved from "digital hardware" to*The "Lounge"*by one of moderators.

Heres description of digital hardware forum:

Forum Digital Hardware
    Large format digital hardware (cameras, backs, scanners, printers, etc.)

Heres description of

Forum:The Lounge
    Area for off-topic (non-LF, but preferably photography-related) discussion and socializing.*Topics and discussions of politics and religion are no longer allowed,*here or elsewhere on the forum, and the forum's general behavioral standards apply here, too.

I find that incorrect and actually hostile to new person entering LF. Overall overmoderating has driven most of this site to much less useful state especially during last few years.

This is 2015, digital vs film wars are over. How trully bored moderator should be to do things like that.,

Lachlan 717

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPerelet View Post
    How trully [sic] bored moderator should be to do things like that.
    How truly bored you must be to post this.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Overall overmoderating has driven most of this site to much less useful state especially during last few years.

+1. Thank you.

Overall overmoderating has driven most of this site to much less useful state especially during last few years.
    Maybe, but it's not even close to what it is at APUG; there you have true digital hate.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Maybe, but it's not even close to what it is at APUG; there you have true digital hate.
    I don't think digital photographers should be allowed to marry. It's just not natural, and not what the Bible intended.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The issue is not the mode (digital) but the size (medium format). The Sinar 54H sensor is 49x37mm, and since September of 2014, this has been in the guidelines:

"The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for discussion of topics of particular interest to large format photographers. We especially encourage questions which will help build a repository of knowledge about the tools and techniques of large format photography. Commonly accepted definitions base large format photography on 4"x5" and larger sheet film, regardless of the style of camera being used. This is the definition we will use. We would also consider a digital back with a nominal sensor size of 4"x5" or larger to be LF, as well, regardless of technology."

Many of us are waiting eagerly for a reasonable 4x5 or larger digital capture device. (One of our members is developing one for 8x10.) Perhaps we wait in vain; perhaps not. But this has been hashed through time and time again, and we are still a large-format forum where size is part of the definition.

As to excessive anti-digital moderation, I would say this: I have never made a decision based on the digital versus film divide, other than to stop endless and pointless arguments between antagonists on this issue, and I'm absolutely sure that each of the other moderators could say the same.

Rick "format snob, at least here" Denney

Knowledge is an amazing thing. The post was moved because it is not LARGE FORMAT by the SMALL FORMAT HATERS. So, yes if all small format haters go to hell, then allow small format film and iPhone and other digital.

...Overall overmoderating has driven most of this site to much less useful state especially during last few years...
    I disagree. In my opinion, moderation of this forum has been on a path of continuous improvement.

It's important to remember that we're posting at the Large Format Photography Forum. Regardless of sensor (film, digital, collodion, whatever), there's got to be a definition of "large." As Rick pointed out, the subject of the moved thread you're complaining about doesn't meet that criterion as established by the owner and moderators here.

More generally, I feel that strict moderation of late has kept the forum on a path to less hostility and increased usefulness. An example of the latter trend can be seen in more frequent merging of duplicate threads as they pop up, making the archive less cluttered and easier to search.

Remember - here you can freely discuss putting a bubble level on your LF camera, a small knob too but don't dare to discuss putting a LF camera digital sensor on your LF camera on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    It's against the ethos of this Forum to make disparaging remarks about other Forums.

This Forum is for the discussion of Large Format photography, APUG for film based photography and darkroom printing, that doesn't mean this Forum "Hates" Medium and 35mm formats, or that APUG "Hates" Digital, it's just they aren't the focus and purpose of these forums so threads get moved or deleted.

Ian