Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

Re: Kodak Static Eliminator - anybody?

No more having to rub the balloon on your shirt to make someone's hair stand on end! Great party toy!
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

The Kodak and Z-VI models are the same, both made by "The Portland Co.", but in different decades. I used one for many years. They will help keep your holders clean; never had it near 'sensitive electronics' though.

I have the Chapman version, which looks more or less identical. It really does neutralize static and when you're cleaning out film holders you can see the dust just fall off when you get the brush near them. When I'm having high static in the darkroom it is also excellent for glass negative carriers to the negative doesn't skate out of position from the charge.

I still think it's too dangerous for you, if you love your lawn. I don't have a lawn it would kill, and when you send it to me I'll see if it kills weeds. Those I have.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Drew Wiley

All kinds of these things are still made for use in electronics assembly. Every cleanroom supply house offers them. Most of them just supply deionized air, but some brush types still exist. I have a very nice gun unit on a triple-filtered low-pressure air line, but rarely use it. What I do routinely use is a large electrostatic air cleaner which attracts the dust to charged copper plates than deionizes the room air on the way out. It's much more effective than air cleaners which merely run the air through stages of filtration. I got the thing free when an old sound studio was demolished, took it apart and thoroughly refurbished it. It would probably cost a small fortune to make something equivalent nowadays because of all the sheet copper in it.