Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first time at a show in years, and could use some advice

first time at a show in years, and could use some advice

I've just been invited to display my work here and I'm really hoping on some advice and tips.

To be honest, it's the worst time possible for any show, since I don't have access to a dark room so it looks like I'm stuck with digital prints.
    Plus the company I work for isn't giving me even a moment to breath. And yet they don't feel they have to pay overtime, so I'm on an imposible budget. (3 more months of torture and I'm never coming back to work here)

So can tips, like how to display my prints so they will withstand some foul weather on a budget?

Oh, if anyone reading this happens to know of or have a LF darkroom in Central Alberta I could borrow or rent it would be wonderful.
    I can't afford much at this time, however I can supply all my own materials and work something out with you.

Thanks
    Stu

Re: first time at a show in years, and could use some advice

What do you mean the company does not pay for overtime work? Are there no labor laws to protect people in Canada?

Yes but just say they have 30 angry truckers however they also have 300 waiting for a job.
    Plus they are in the middle of switching ownership so they don't care about their reputation.
    They are kinda getting the shaft themselves, some of my co-workers have had to wait 20+ hours to get loaded. Then need to run the product over Western Canada in a hurry.
    The company says we're only allowed to work 14 hours straight. Which is true, gut if they get out of line they loose their spot.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

OP...don't go into the show with negative feelings. Inkjet prints can equal or better a silver gelatin print.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...-inkjet-print/

Actually they can far surpass the silver gelatin print with problem negs.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...-a-photograph/

Can you expand on the "withstand foul weather" comment? Is the show an outdoor display? I think some details will result in more useful suggestions from those with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    OP...don't go into the show with negative feelings. Inkjet prints can equal or better a silver gelatin print.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...-inkjet-print/

Actually they can far surpass the silver gelatin print with problem negs.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...-a-photograph/
    Better in what? Cost, resolution "average quality"? I do both, and what I have to say is both process are different, nor better then worst,

Cheers,

Renato

I wouldn't suggest dragging your work HR problems online. Just either do the work with quiet discretion, or do something about the injustice. You gain nothing and can only lose complaining about that here. At least put it in the lounge where the employers (or future employers) won't find it. You go to work somewhere else, they'll search the Internet with a fine tooth comb for information about you if they are diligent.

Most people don't mind Inkjet prints.

Drew Wiley

I have my personal preferences, exactly the opposite of a particular opinion already expressed. But what is far more important is a person's skill with their chosen medium. You can't learn any of this overnight. In fact, it can take quite a bit of effort just to find someone else to do specialized printing for you, whom you have
    developed a business and aesthetic relationship with, and efficiently communicate with. But nothing is going to hold up well outdoors unless it's laminated ($$$, potentially ugly), or thoroughly framed ($$$$$$), or perhaps under a tent-booth in mild weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    Yes but just say they have 30 angry truckers however they also have 300 waiting for a job.
    Plus they are in the middle of switching ownership so they don't care about their reputation.
    They are kinda getting the shaft themselves, some of my co-workers have had to wait 20+ hours to get loaded. Then need to run the product over Western Canada in a hurry.
    The company says we're only allowed to work 14 hours straight. Which is true, gut if they get out of line they loose their spot.
    This is probably a topic for another website , but: sounds like a situation just made for the Teamsters Union to step in and organize the operation. I am surprised some as I had thought Canada was a strongly unionized economy.

But back to the topic of the thread: You have an opertunity to show your work . . .do what you can to present your images the public.

It may be that the only approach possible, within your time frame and budget, is digital scanning/printing. Another possibility may be an alternative process such as albumin printing your negatives as contact prints. Not much of a arkroom needed for that although as in any process, there will be a learning curev.

Please: Let us know what you do and post a few images.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Can you expand on the "withstand foul weather" comment? Is the show an outdoor display? I think some details will result in more useful suggestions from those with experience.
    The link in the OP is to "art-walk.ca", which is an open-air show in Edmonton. The link was a bit hard to spot.